- Special Savings
The richness of Saigon cinnamon flavors this salad created by Suzanne Goin of Luques in Los Angeles, California. Dates, carrots and toasted pine nuts add color and complexity to the couscous.
- 3 green onions
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- One 14 1/2-ounce can chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon McCormick® Gourmet Collection™ Ground Saigon Cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon McCormick® Gourmet Collection™ Ground Black Pepper, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon McCormick® Gourmet Collection™ Ground Red Pepper
- One 10-ounce package couscous
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- One 19-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups shredded carrots (3-4 large carrots)
- 1 cup dates (about 5 ounces), pitted and roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro, optional
Finely dice the white ends of the green onions. Slice the green parts of the green onions and reserve for the salad. Gently cook the white onion pieces in olive oil for 5-7 minutes in a medium saucepan. Stir in the chicken broth, cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon black pepper and red pepper. Bring to a boil; add the couscous. Cover and remove the pan from the heat. Let stand 5 minutes.
Whisk together the vinegar, 1/2 teaspoon salt and olive oil in a small bowl.
Fluff the couscous with a fork; put in a large bowl. Toss in the sliced green onions, chickpeas, carrots, dates, pinenuts, remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and remaining 1/4 teaspoon black pepper; add the vinaigrette and toss again. Serve right away or chill. Garnish with chopped cilantro, if desired.
Recipe reprinted by permission of McCormick&reg;. All rights reserved.
nutrition information per serving
412 calories; 16g total fat; 0mg cholesterol; 664mg sodium; 57g carbohydrates; 7g fiber; 10g protein
These nutrition facts are calculated according to the ingredients listed in this recipe. Any substitutions will change these facts. Although we strive for accuracy, please note that food manufacturers occasionally change their food formulas, which could affect the calculations as shown.
Don't Miss Out
Get an instant coupon for 10% off your next order*
plus the latest recipes, exclusive offers, and more straight to your inbox.
*Some restrictions apply.
Sorry, it appears that you already have subscribed to Cooking.com e-mails.
Click here to modify your email preferences.Close
Sign-up in progress...
Thanks for subscribing and please enjoy the coupons, recipes and special offers coming your way!Close
Your instant coupon code is:
Enter code during checkout to receive 10% off your purchase.* This code will also be emailed to you.Close and Continue
*Some restrictions apply. To see restrictions, click here .