Easy Pollo Cubano
- Active Time 30m
- Total Time 1h 30m
The fresh flavors of tarragon, cilantro and lime juice enhance poached chicken breasts in this simple preparation.
Make Ahead Tip: Equipment: Kitchen string
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 1 pound)
- 1/2 cup lime juice, divided
- 2 shallots, minced
- 2 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon, divided
- 2 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 quart water
- 1/2 cup dry sherry (see Note)
- 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper
- 3 bay leaves
- Note: Sherry is a type of fortified wine originally from southern Spain. Don’t use the “cooking sherry” sold in many supermarkets—it can be surprisingly high in sodium. Instead, purchase dry sherry that’s sold with other fortified wines in your wine or liquor store.
Place the chicken in a shallow non-aluminum dish and add 1/4 cup lime juice. Toss lightly, cover and marinate for 30 minutes in the refrigerator. Drain and reserve the marinade.
Combine the shallots, 1 1/2 teaspoons tarragon, 1 1/2 teaspoons cilantro, 1/4 teaspoon salt and black pepper in a small bowl. Spread 2 teaspoons of the mixture at the base of each chicken breast and roll up. Using two pieces of butcher’s string, one running horizontally and one vertically, tie each breast into a package.
Combine the water, the remaining 1/4 cup lime juice, 2 tablespoons tarragon, 2 tablespoons cilantro, 1/4 teaspoon salt, reserved marinade, sherry, crushed red pepper and bay leaves in a large high-sided skillet. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to low, add the chicken, cover and poach gently until no longer pink inside, 20 to 25 minutes.
Tip: Is the make ahead tip missing or should it be deleted?
Recipe reprinted by permission of Publisher. All rights reserved.
nutrition information per serving
164 calories; 3g total fat; 1g total saturated fat; 63mg cholesterol; 350mg sodium; 6g carbohydrates; 1g fiber; 24g protein
These nutrition facts are calculated according to the ingredients listed in this recipe. Any substitutions will change these facts. Although we strive for accuracy, please note that food manufacturers occasionally change their food formulas, which could affect the calculations as shown.
Don't Miss Out
Get an instant coupon for 10% off your next order*
plus the latest recipes, exclusive offers, and more straight to your inbox.
*Some restrictions apply.
Sorry, it appears that you already have subscribed to Cooking.com e-mails.
Click here to modify your email preferences.Close
Sign-up in progress...
Thanks for subscribing and please enjoy the coupons, recipes and special offers coming your way!Close
Your instant coupon code is:
Enter code during checkout to receive 10% off your purchase.* This code will also be emailed to you.Close and Continue
*Some restrictions apply. To see restrictions, click here .