- Special Pricing
Turn leftover Eggplant & Chickpea Stew into a comforting vegetarian baked-pasta dish. We love the taste of mint with the other Mediterranean flavors, but you can use parsley or basil if you prefer.
Make Ahead Tip: Assemble the casserole in the baking dish (through Step 3). Cover and refrigerate overnight. Let stand at room temperature while the oven heats. Finish with Step 4.
- 8 ounces whole-wheat fusilli
- 1/2 cup coarse dry whole-wheat breadcrumbs (see Note)
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cups Eggplant & Chickpea Stew (see recipe link above)
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh mint or basil, divided
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Note: To make your own breadcrumbs, trim crusts from whole-wheat bread. Tear bread into pieces and process in a food processor until coarse crumbs form. Spread on a baking sheet and bake at 250°F until dry, about 10 to 15 minutes. One slice of bread makes about 1/3 cup dry breadcrumbs. For store-bought coarse dry breadcrumbs we like Ian’s brand, labeled “Panko breadcrumbs.” Find them at well-stocked supermarkets.
Companion recipe: Eggplant and Chickpea Stew
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Coat an 8-inch-square (or similar 2-quart) baking dish with cooking spray.
Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook the pasta according to package directions. Drain and rinse.
Combine the breadcrumbs and oil in a small bowl. Toss the pasta with the stew, feta, 1/4 cup mint (or basil) and lemon juice in a large bowl. Spread the mixture in the prepared baking dish. Top with the breadcrumb mixture.
Bake until the topping is golden and crispy, about 30 minutes. Sprinkle with the remaining 1/4 cup mint (or basil).
Recipe reprinted by permission of Publisher. All rights reserved.
nutrition information per serving
496 calories; 17g total fat; 7g total saturated fat; 33mg cholesterol; 686mg sodium; 71g carbohydrates; 13g fiber; 21g protein
These nutrition facts are calculated according to the ingredients listed in this recipe. Any substitutions will change these facts. Although we strive for accuracy, please note that food manufacturers occasionally change their food formulas, which could affect the calculations as shown.
Don't Miss Out
Get an instant coupon for 10% off your next order*
plus the latest recipes, exclusive offers, and more straight to your inbox.
*Some restrictions apply.
Sorry, it appears that you already have subscribed to Cooking.com e-mails.
Click here to modify your email preferences.Close
Sign-up in progress...
Thanks for subscribing and please enjoy the coupons, recipes and special offers coming your way!Close
Your instant coupon code is:
Enter code during checkout to receive 10% off your purchase.* This code will also be emailed to you.Close and Continue
*Some restrictions apply. To see restrictions, click here .