The Diner is the best place for breakfast in Yountville, CA. Owner Kaaren Gann serves this enchilada sauce with her huevos rancheros.
- 4 ounces whole dried pasilla chili peppers or 2 ounces pasillas combined with 2 ounces New Mexican or anchos*
- 4 cups water
- 1/2 cup rice wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons corn oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 4 medium cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- One 14 1/2-ounce can tomatoes, drained and chopped
- 1 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 corn tortilla, cut into shreds
- 1 teaspoon salt or to taste
Companion recipe: Huevos Rancheros
With scissors, cut off the chili stems, slice them open lengthwise and
discard the seeds. Cut the chili in half and set them in a bowl.
Bring the water and vinegar to a boil, pour over the chilies and
steep them for 30 minutes, until softened.
In a 4-quart heavy saucepan over high heat, add the oil. Add the onion and saute,
stirring frequently, for about 5 minutes, or until golden brown. Add the
sesame seeds and garlic and saute for a minute, stirring or until the
sesame seeds begin to turn color. Stir in the ground cloves and cinnamon,
then immediately add the tomatoes, along with the chilies and the water
and vinegar in which they were steeping. Bring the liquid to a simmer,
cover and simmer over low heat for 30 minutes. Stir in the cocoa powder
and corn tortilla and remove from the heat. Cool for 30 minutes.
In a blender, in batches, puree the sauce until smooth. Season with
salt to taste.
* The flavor and amount of "heat" depends on the type of chili peppers you use and if you have sensitive skin, handle the chili peppers with surgical gloves. The Diner uses only pasilla chili peppers in their sauce, but if you like your sauce a bit less fiery, mix the pasillas with milder New Mexican or ancho peppers.
Serving size= 4 tablespoons
Recipe courtesy of Kaaren Gann, The Diner, Yountville, CA
Recipe reprinted by permission of Cooks' Catalogue, Inc. All rights reserved.
nutrition information per serving
271 calories; 18g total fat; 0mg cholesterol; 631mg sodium; 27g carbohydrates; 11g fiber; 7g protein
These nutrition facts are calculated according to the ingredients listed in this recipe. Any substitutions will change these facts. Although we strive for accuracy, please note that food manufacturers occasionally change their food formulas, which could affect the calculations as shown.
Don't Miss Out
Get an instant coupon for 10% off your next order*
plus the latest recipes, exclusive offers, and more straight to your inbox.
*Some restrictions apply.
Sorry, it appears that you already have subscribed to Cooking.com e-mails.
Click here to modify your email preferences.Close
Sign-up in progress...
Thanks for subscribing and please enjoy the coupons, recipes and special offers coming your way!Close
Your instant coupon code is*
Enter code during checkout to receive 10% off your purchase.* This code will also be emailed to you.Close and Continue
*Some restrictions apply. To see restrictions, click here .