- Turkey and Stock:
- 3 quarts cold water
- 4 pounds turkey parts (wings, legs, thighs, breast)
- 1 Large carrot, peeled and cut in 3 chunks
- 1 Large sweet onion, quartered
- 2 Stalks celery, rough cut
- 1 pound unsalted butter
- 1 pound yellow onions, diced
- 3 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 2 ounces fresh jalapeños, seeded and small dice
- 1 pound corn tortillas, chopped in 1/2-inch cubes
- 1-1/2 pounds tomato puree
- 1-1/2 pounds Cheddar cheese sauce
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 4 ounces old fashioned biscuit gravy mix
- To Taste salt and freshly ground pepper
Melt butter over medium heat in a large (at least 8-qt) stock pot.
Add onions and sauté until translucent.
Add garlic, jalapeños and corn tortillas, cook for 3 minutes while stirring.
Add 2 qt. strained turkey stock, tomato puree, cheese sauce, lemon juice, hot sauce, chili powder, cumin and dried oregano.
In a small sauce pan, bring 3 cups of the reserved stock to a boil.
Add biscuit gravy mix to the remaining 1 cup reserved stock while it is at room temperature and whisk together. Add the 1 cup slurry to the 3 cups boiling stock. Whisk while it is simmering until it has thickened. Add thickened slurry to the soup.
Return cooked turkey to the soup and reheat thoroughly. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper to taste.
Recipe reprinted by permission of National Turkey Federation. All rights reserved.
nutrition information per serving
350 calories; 23g total fat; 80mg cholesterol; 960mg sodium; 21g carbohydrates; 2g fiber; 14g protein
These nutrition facts are calculated according to the ingredients listed in this recipe. Any substitutions will change these facts. Although we strive for accuracy, please note that food manufacturers occasionally change their food formulas, which could affect the calculations as shown.
Need Something for Your Kitchen?
Get 10% off your first order at our store, CHEFS Catalog!*
plus the latest recipes, exclusive offers, and more straight to your inbox.
*New customers only, some restrictions apply.
Sorry, it appears that you already have subscribed to Cooking.com e-mails.
Click here to modify your email preferences.Close
Sign-up in progress...
Thanks for subscribing and please enjoy the coupons, recipes and special offers coming your way!Close