Douglas Monsalud of Kitchenette in San Francisco serves hyper-seasonal dishes like this lemony pasta salad with lots of green vegetables and herbs.
- 2 slices white sandwich bread, finely chopped (1 cup)
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons snipped chives
- 1 tablespoon chopped tarragon
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 bunch broccolini
- 1 pound farfalle
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 fennel bupound halved, cored and thinly sliced
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed, or 1 pound fresh peas, shelled
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
Preheat the oven to 350°. On a baking sheet, toss the bread with 1/4 cup of the oil and toast for 8 to 10 minutes, stirring once, until golden. Let cool, then stir in half each of the parsley, chives and tarragon. Season the crumbs with salt and pepper.
In a pot of boiling salted water, cook the broccolini until tender, 1 minute; using tongs, transfer to a cutting board and coarsely chop. Boil the pasta until al dente. Drain, reserving 1 cup of the cooking water.
In a deep skillet, melt the butter in the remaining 6 tablespoons of oil. Add the garlic, fennel, scallions, peas and broccolini and cook over moderate heat until the fennel is crisp-tender, about 6 minutes. Add the pasta, lemon juice and cooking water and season with salt and pepper. Cook over moderate heat until the water is nearly absorbed. Stir in the remaining herbs. Sprinkle the pasta with the breadcrumbs just before serving.
Get more Food & Wine recipes
Recipe reprinted by permission of Publisher. All rights reserved.
Need Something for Your Kitchen?
Get 10% off your first order at our store, CHEFS Catalog!*
plus the latest recipes, exclusive offers, and more straight to your inbox.
*New customers only, some restrictions apply.
Sorry, it appears that you already have subscribed to Cooking.com e-mails.
Click here to modify your email preferences.Close
Sign-up in progress...
Thanks for subscribing and please enjoy the coupons, recipes and special offers coming your way!Close