Four Pepper King Ranch Casserole
- Active Time 30m
- Total Time 1h
Cayenne, jalapeno (smoked chipotle and fresh), poblano and bell peppers combine in a classic Tex-Mex casserole, layered with chicken, corn tortillas, Cheddar and a creamy sauce.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large fresh jalapeno, seeded and minced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 poblano pepper, seeded and diced
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- One 14-ounce can diced fire roasted tomatoes, drained
- 1 cup cream
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 1/2 cups diced cooked chicken
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Eight 6-inch corn tortillas, cut in half
- 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
In a large straight-sided skillet over medium-high heat, heat the oil and add the onion, jalapeno, bell pepper, poblano pepper, cayenne, chipotle, cumin and garlic. Saute, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are just beginning to soften, about 5 minutes.
Add the chicken broth and tomatoes to the skillet and bring to a simmer. Simmer for 5-6 minutes until reduced slightly then remove from the heat and stir in the cream, sour cream and cilantro. Stir in the chicken. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
Grease a 9 x 13-inch pan with oil, then place half of the tortilla halves on the bottom of the pan. Top with half of the chicken and vegetable mixture, then layer on 1 cup of the shredded cheese. Repeat, layering the tortillas, chicken mixture and cheese. Bake about 25-30 minutes, until hot and bubbling.
Recipe reprinted by permission of Cooking.com. All rights reserved.
Need Something for Your Kitchen?
Get 10% off your first order at our store, CHEFS Catalog!*
plus the latest recipes, exclusive offers, and more straight to your inbox.
*New customers only, some restrictions apply.
Sorry, it appears that you already have subscribed to Cooking.com e-mails.
Click here to modify your email preferences.Close
Sign-up in progress...
Thanks for subscribing and please enjoy the coupons, recipes and special offers coming your way!Close