- Special Pricing
Garlicky Greens With Penne Pasta & Spicy Tomato Broth
- Active Time 15m
- Total Time 1h 15m
This dish is a great meal by itself. Serve it with a softer red wine, like a California Merlot or Zinfandel.
- For the Tomato Broth:
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped carrots
- Vegetable trimmings (not cabbage, broccoli, or cauliflower), optional
- 2 cups tomato juice
- Sprigs of fresh thyme, rosemary, basil and oregano (or a pinch each of dried)
- 2 fresh chile peppers, halved, or 1 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes
- Salt (or miso paste) and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- For the Greens and Pasta:
- 1 1/2 pounds broccoli rabe, trimmed and chopped coarse
- 1 medium red onion, cut into slivers
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- One 19-ounce can white cannellini beans, drained
- 1 large tomato, seeded and chopped coarse
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 12 ounces penne pasta, cooked
- 1/2 bunch basil (1 ounce), washed and chopped
- 1/2 tablespoon black olive paste (optional)
- Tabasco (optional)
FOR THE TOMATO BROTH: Put all the vegetables and vegetable trimmings in a large saucepan. Add the tomato juice and bring to a boil over high heat. Lower the heat and maintain a slow simmer for about 1 hour, adding the herbs and chiles during the last 20 minutes of cooking. Season with salt or miso and pepper, if desired, and strain.
FOR THE GREENS AND PASTA: If you're using a microwave oven, put the broccoli raab in a microwave-safe dish with an inch of water. Cover loosely and microwave on high for 3 minutes. Alternatively, bring a pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the raab and cook until tender, 2 to 3 minutes. Either way, immediately dip the raab in ice water to "shock" it and stop the cooking. Drain and set aside.
In a large nonstick skillet over medium heat, saute the onion in the oil until translucent. Add the raab and cook briefly. Add the beans, tomato, garlic and penne; stir to combine well. Add salt and pepper to taste. Add the basil, olive paste and about 3/4 cup tomato broth; toss to combine. Serve in large bowls topped with more tomato broth and Tabasco on the side.
Recipe reprinted by permission of <I>Fine Cooking<. All rights reserved.
nutrition information per serving
389 calories; 4g total fat; 0mg cholesterol; 268mg sodium; 70g carbohydrates; 11g fiber; 22g protein
These nutrition facts are calculated according to the ingredients listed in this recipe. Any substitutions will change these facts. Although we strive for accuracy, please note that food manufacturers occasionally change their food formulas, which could affect the calculations as shown.
Don't Miss Out
Get an instant coupon for 10% off your next order*
plus the latest recipes, exclusive offers, and more straight to your inbox.
*Some restrictions apply.
Sorry, it appears that you already have subscribed to Cooking.com e-mails.
Click here to modify your email preferences.Close
Sign-up in progress...
Thanks for subscribing and please enjoy the coupons, recipes and special offers coming your way!Close
Your instant coupon code is:
Enter code during checkout to receive 10% off your purchase.* This code will also be emailed to you.Close and Continue
*Some restrictions apply. To see restrictions, click here .