- Active Time 15m
- Total Time 15m
While gazpacho is really a soup, for years I have been making it more and more chunky and less pureed. So the next logical step is to not chop the soup ingredients at all, and serve the crunchy and garlicky-flavored vegetables as a wrap.
- 1 medium Bermuda or other sweet white onion, peeled, halved, and thinly
- 2 cucumbers, peeled, seeded, and cut into long spears
- 1 green bell pepper, seeds and ribs removed, cut into long, thin slices
- 1 red bell pepper, seeds and ribs removed, cut into long, thin slices
- 6 medium to large tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and cut into thin wedges
- 5 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped jalapeno pepper or 1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 1/4 cup sherry or red wine vinegar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves (optional)
- Romaine or Boston lettuce leaves
- 10-inch flour tortillas or pita bread
Combine the onion, cucumbers, green and red bell peppers, and tomatoes
in a large bowl. Combine the garlic, jalapeno, vinegar, and salt and pepper
to taste in a jar with a tight-fitting lid, and shake well. Add the olive
oil and cilantro, if used, and shake again. Pour the dressing over the
vegetables, and toss well to coat.
Place the tortillas on a counter, and place a lettuce leaf and a portion
of salad along one edge of each, leaving a 2-inch margin on both sides.
Tuck in the sides to enclose the filling, and roll the tortillas firmly but
gently, beginning at the filled edge. Cut in half on the diagonal, and
NOTE: If using pita bread, line the thin side of each pocket with a lettuce
leaf, and then stuff in the salad. This salad improves in flavor if made a
few hours in advance and refrigerated, tightly covered. Use within 6 hours,
and do not make the wraps in advance.
Recipe reprinted by permission of Doubleday. All rights reserved.
nutrition information per serving
239 calories; 19g total fat; 0mg cholesterol; 15mg sodium; 14g carbohydrates; 4g fiber; 3g protein
These nutrition facts are calculated according to the ingredients listed in this recipe. Any substitutions will change these facts. Although we strive for accuracy, please note that food manufacturers occasionally change their food formulas, which could affect the calculations as shown.
Need Something for Your Kitchen?
Get 10% off your first order at our store, CHEFS Catalog!*
plus the latest recipes, exclusive offers, and more straight to your inbox.
*New customers only, some restrictions apply.
Sorry, it appears that you already have subscribed to Cooking.com e-mails.
Click here to modify your email preferences.Close
Sign-up in progress...
Thanks for subscribing and please enjoy the coupons, recipes and special offers coming your way!Close