Gingerbread Cookies with Cream Cheese Frosting
Makes about 20 cookies
What holiday dessert tray is complete without whimsical gingerbread cookies decorated in their holiday best?
- For the Cookies:
- 1 3/4 cups gluten-free flour mix
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup Wild Oats Organic Unsalted Butter, chilled
- 1/2 cup organic light brown sugar
- 1 Wild Oats Large Egg
- 2 teaspoons gluten-free vanilla
- 1 tablespoon gluten-free molasses
- For the Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 3 tablespoons Wild Oats Organic Unsalted Butter, softened
- 2 ounces Wild Oats organic cream cheese, softened
- 1 teaspoon gluten-free vanilla
- 2 teaspoons Wild Oats Organic Orange Juice
- 2 to 3 cups gluten-free confectioners’ sugar
- Natural gluten-free food coloring
FOR THE COOKIES:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Sift together flour mix, cream of tartar, salt, baking soda, xanthan gum and spices. Using a pastry blender or two butter knives, cut in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse cornmeal. Cream together sugar, egg, vanilla, and molasses. Stir wet ingredients into dry ingredients, and mix well. Form dough into a ball and flatten into a disc. Dust with a little gluten-free flour, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for one hour. Sprinkle rolling surface with gluten-free flour. Roll dough out to about 1/4 inch thick. Cut out shapes using a gingerbread man cookie cutter. Spray baking sheet lightly with cooking spray and place cookies on sheet. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes. Cool on a wire rack before frosting.
FOR THE CREAM CHEESE FROSTING:
Cream butter, cream cheese, vanilla and orange juice together until fluffy. Add half the sugar. Beat well. Add more sugar, as needed, for smooth, thick consistency. If frosting gets too thick add a little milk to thin it out. Separate frosting into separate bowls and stir in food coloring. Frost cookies.
Recipe reprinted by permission of Wild Oats Natural Marketplace. All rights reserved.
Need Something for Your Kitchen?
Get 15% off your first order at our store, CHEFS Catalog!*
plus the latest recipes, exclusive offers, and more straight to your inbox.
*New customers only, some restrictions apply.
Sorry, it appears that you already have subscribed to Cooking.com e-mails.
Click here to modify your email preferences.Close
Sign-up in progress...
Thanks for subscribing and please enjoy the coupons, recipes and special offers coming your way!Close