Inspired by Spanish pureed gazpachos, this golden-yellow one is based on an idea of Greg Parks's at the Four Columns Inn in Newfane, Vermont.
Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day.
- 1 large orange or yellow bell pepper
- 3 1/2 pounds yellow or orange tomatoes, peeled (see tip) and cored, divided
- 1 cup coarsely chopped sweet onion
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2-3 red or green jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced, for garnish (optional)
- Tip: To peel tomatoes: Make a small X in the bottom of each tomato and plunge into boiling water until the skins are slightly loosened, 30 seconds to 2 minutes. Transfer to a bowl of ice water for 1 minute. Peel with a paring knife, starting at the X.
Position a rack in the upper third of the oven; preheat the broiler.
Place the bell pepper on a baking sheet and broil, turning every 4-5 minutes, until the skin is blackened and blistered on all sides, 20-25 minutes. Transfer the pepper to a bowl, cover and let steam until the skin is loosened, about 10 minutes. Uncover; when cool enough to handle, remove the skin. Discard the stem, seeds and ribs.
Place the roasted pepper and half the tomatoes in a blender; add the onion and oil and puree until smooth. Transfer to a large metal bowl. Puree the remaining tomatoes until smooth and add to the bowl; stir to combine. Refrigerate the gazpacho until chilled, at least 2 hours. Season with salt and pepper. Serve garnished with jalapenos, if desired.
Recipe reprinted by permission of Publisher. All rights reserved.
nutrition information per serving
104 calories; 5g total fat; 1g total saturated fat; 0mg cholesterol; 452mg sodium; 13g carbohydrates; 3g fiber; 3g protein
These nutrition facts are calculated according to the ingredients listed in this recipe. Any substitutions will change these facts. Although we strive for accuracy, please note that food manufacturers occasionally change their food formulas, which could affect the calculations as shown.
Don't Miss Out
Get an instant coupon for 10% off your next order*
plus the latest recipes, exclusive offers, and more straight to your inbox.
*Some restrictions apply.
Sorry, it appears that you already have subscribed to Cooking.com e-mails.
Click here to modify your email preferences.Close
Sign-up in progress...
Thanks for subscribing and please enjoy the coupons, recipes and special offers coming your way!Close
Your instant coupon code is:
Enter code during checkout to receive 10% off your purchase.* This code will also be emailed to you.Close and Continue
*Some restrictions apply. To see restrictions, click here .