- 1/2 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1/2 cup uncooked bulgur (see note)
- 1 tablespoon salt-free seasoning blend
- 1/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups finely chopped fresh mushrooms
- 3/4 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1/3 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup fat-free cottage cheese
- 1/4 cup egg substitute
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/8 teaspoon celery seed
- 3 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 12 sandwich rolls, optional
- Lettuce leaves, optional
- Tomato slices, optional
In a saucepan, combine the first five ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until rice is tender. Remove from the heat; cool completely. Refrigerate.
In a large bowl, combine the mushrooms, oats, mozzarella cheese, cheddar cheese and onion.
In a blender or food processor, process cottage cheese and egg substitute until smooth. Add to the mushroom mixture. Stir in the parsley, salt, basil, celery seed and chilled rice mixture. Shape 1/2 cupfuls into patties.
In a nonstick skillet, cook four patties in 1 teaspoon of oil for 5 minutes on each side or until lightly browned and crisp. Repeat with remaining patties and oil. Serve on rolls with lettuce and tomato if desired.
Note: Look for bulgur in the cereal, rice or organic food aisle of your grocery store.
Special Offer: Take advantage of a special offer for Cooking.com guests and subscribe today to Taste of Home magazine! Click for details.
Recipe reprinted by permission of Reiman Publications, LLC. &copy; 2002. All rights reserved.
Don't Miss Out
Get an instant coupon for 10% off your next order*
plus the latest recipes, exclusive offers, and more straight to your inbox.
*Some restrictions apply.
Sorry, it appears that you already have subscribed to Cooking.com e-mails.
Click here to modify your email preferences.Close
Sign-up in progress...
Thanks for subscribing and please enjoy the coupons, recipes and special offers coming your way!Close
Your instant coupon code is:
Enter code during checkout to receive 10% off your purchase.* This code will also be emailed to you.Close and Continue
*Some restrictions apply. To see restrictions, click here .