Green Goddess dressing — a mix of mayonnaise, sour cream, herbs, anchovies and lemon — was created at the Palace Hotel in San Francisco in the 1920s, as a tribute to an actor starring in a play called The Green Goddess. The creamy dressing is typically tossed with a green salad, but it's also addictive in Melissa Rubel Jacobson's chicken salad, made with a rotisserie bird.
- 2 oil-packed anchovies, drained
- 1 small garlic clove
- 1/2 cup packed flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1/4 cup packed basil leaves
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped dill
- 1 tablespoon oregano leaves
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons snipped chives
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 1-pound loaf of ciabatta, bottom crust reserved for another use, bread cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 2-pound rotisserie chicken, skin and bones discarded, meat pulled into large bite-sized pieces
- 8 piquillo peppers, drained and quartered lengthwise (from a 9.8-ounce jar)
- 3 inner celery ribs with leaves thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup pitted kalamata olives, halved
In a food processor, pulse the anchovies, garlic, parsley, basil, dill and oregano until coarsely chopped. Add the mayonnaise and lemon juice and process until smooth. Fold in the chives; season with salt and pepper.
In a large bowl, toss the ciabatta with the chicken, piquillo peppers, celery and olives. Add the dressing and toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper and serve.
Get more Food & Wine recipes
Recipe reprinted by permission of Publisher. All rights reserved.
Don't Miss Out
Get an instant coupon for 10% off your next order*
plus the latest recipes, exclusive offers, and more straight to your inbox.
*Some restrictions apply.
Sorry, it appears that you already have subscribed to Cooking.com e-mails.
Click here to modify your email preferences.Close
Sign-up in progress...
Thanks for subscribing and please enjoy the coupons, recipes and special offers coming your way!Close
Your instant coupon code is:
Enter code during checkout to receive 10% off your purchase.* This code will also be emailed to you.Close and Continue
*Some restrictions apply. To see restrictions, click here .