This Thai-inspired salad makes use of the papayas that grow throughout Hawaii. This version is tossed with tender, sweet pea shoots. Make an extra batch of the vinaigrette to keep on hand in the refrigerator—use it as a marinade for vegetables, a flavorful dressing for fresh melon or as a sauce to splash over grilled fish or chicken.
Make Ahead Tip: The vinaigrette (Step 1) will keep, covered, in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated lime zest
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped palm sugar or packed brown sugar (see tip)
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- Hawaiian chilies or any fresh hot chilies minced, to taste
- 3 cups matchstick-cut or julienned green papaya (see tip)
- 1/2 cup very thinly sliced Maui or other sweet onion
- 1/2 cup pea shoots cut into 3-inch pieces, or bean sprouts
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Tip: Palm sugar is an unrefined sweetener similar in flavor to brown sugar.
- Green papaya is underripe papaya that is green and firm. Look for it in Asian markets. If you can't find one, a ripe papaya will still taste delicious in this salad.
Whisk the lime zest, lime juice, sugar, fish sauce and chilies in a large bowl.
Add the papaya, onion and pea shoots (or sprouts) to the vinaigrette; toss to combine. Sprinkle with pepper just before serving.
Recipe reprinted by permission of Publisher. All rights reserved.
nutrition information per serving
59 calories; 0g total fat; 0g total saturated fat; 0mg cholesterol; 236mg sodium; 15g carbohydrates; 1g fiber; 1g protein
These nutrition facts are calculated according to the ingredients listed in this recipe. Any substitutions will change these facts. Although we strive for accuracy, please note that food manufacturers occasionally change their food formulas, which could affect the calculations as shown.
Don't Miss Out
Get an instant coupon for 10% off your next order*
plus the latest recipes, exclusive offers, and more straight to your inbox.
*Some restrictions apply.
Sorry, it appears that you already have subscribed to Cooking.com e-mails.
Click here to modify your email preferences.Close
Sign-up in progress...
Thanks for subscribing and please enjoy the coupons, recipes and special offers coming your way!Close
Your instant coupon code is:
Enter code during checkout to receive 10% off your purchase.* This code will also be emailed to you.Close and Continue
*Some restrictions apply. To see restrictions, click here .