Grilled chicken is a summer staple, and here's a welcome new accompaniment. The colorful relish is cool, crisp and juicy, with a touch of heat. While the chicken cooks, the vegetables -- cucumber, radishes, red onion and cherry tomatoes -- steep in a vinegary mix until they're lightly pickled. Fresh mint leaves give the dish an herbal fragrance and finish.
- 1/4 cup white-wine vinegar, plus more to taste
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1 small jalapeño chili, stem, ribs and seeds removed (optional), quartered
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 English cucumber (12 ounces), peeled, seeded and cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 5 radishes, very thinly sliced
- 8 ounces cherry tomatoes, halved, or quartered if large
- 1 small red onion, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (2 pounds)
- Vegetable oil, for grill
- 1 cup fresh mint, torn into 1/2-inch pieces, plus sprigs for garnish
Bring the vinegar, water, sugar, garlic, jalapeño, and 3/4 teaspoon salt to a boil in a small saucepan. Remove from the heat, and let stand for 15 minutes. Strain though a fine sieve; discard the solids. Let cool completely.
Combine the cucumber, radishes, tomatoes and onion in a medium bowl. Pour in the vinegar mixture, and toss to coat.
Preheat the grill to medium-high. Season the chicken breasts on both sides with salt and pepper. Lightly oil the grill grate. Working in batches, grill the chicken until cooked through, 6 to 7 minutes per side. Transfer to a platter, and let stand for 10 minutes. Stir the mint into the relish. Season with salt and pepper, and drizzle with vinegar if desired. Spoon the relish on top of the chicken, and garnish with mint sprigs.
A jalapeño chili gives this relish some heat. For a milder version, remove the ribs and seeds.
Recipe reprinted by permission of Martha Stewart Living. All rights reserved.
Need Something for Your Kitchen?
Get 10% off your first order at our store, CHEFS Catalog!*
plus the latest recipes, exclusive offers, and more straight to your inbox.
*New customers only, some restrictions apply.
Sorry, it appears that you already have subscribed to Cooking.com e-mails.
Click here to modify your email preferences.Close
Sign-up in progress...
Thanks for subscribing and please enjoy the coupons, recipes and special offers coming your way!Close