Chef Kerry Simon of Simon at Palms Place in Las Vegas grills steak and vegetables over a hot charcoal fire, then smokes a whole chicken over the smoldering coals to eat later.
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon chopped oregano
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 medium zucchini sliced on the diagonal 1/3 inch thick
- 1 red onion sliced 1/3 inch thick
- 1 red bell pepper, cored and quartered
- 1/4 pound shiitake mushrooms, stemmed
- 1 pound asparagus
- 1 bunch scallions, roots trimmed and bottom 6 inches only
- 2 1-inch-thick porterhouse steaks (1 pound each)
Light a charcoal grill. In a small bowl, whisk the olive oil with the lemon juice, red wine vinegar, mustard and oregano and season with salt and pepper. Transfer half of the dressing to a large bowl. Add the zucchini, onion, red bell pepper, mushrooms, asparagus and scallions. Season the vegetables with salt and pepper and toss.
In a perforated grill pan, grill the vegetables over high heat, tossing, until charred in spots, 10 minutes; return to the bowl, add the remaining dressing and toss.
Season the steaks generously with salt and pepper. Grill the steaks over high heat, turning occasionally, about 11 minutes for medium-rare meat. Transfer the steaks to a carving board and let rest for 5 minutes. Slice the meat from the bones and serve with the grilled vegetables.
Get more Food & Wine recipes
Recipe reprinted by permission of Publisher. All rights reserved.
Need Something for Your Kitchen?
Get 15% off your first order at our store, CHEFS Catalog!*
plus the latest recipes, exclusive offers, and more straight to your inbox.
*New customers only, some restrictions apply.
Sorry, it appears that you already have subscribed to Cooking.com e-mails.
Click here to modify your email preferences.Close
Sign-up in progress...
Thanks for subscribing and please enjoy the coupons, recipes and special offers coming your way!Close