Grilled Portobello Burger with Fontina and Basil
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper, divided
- 4 portobello mushroom caps, stems removed (about 12 ounces)
- 1 cup shredded fontina cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves, crushed
- 4 crusty rolls, split
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- Sliced tomato, optional, for serving
- Sliced red onion, optional, for serving
Preheat a grill or broiler.
In a small bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Brush both sides of each mushroom with the lemon juice mixture, using all of the dressing. Place the mushrooms on the grill or on a broiler pan rack, rounded-side up; cook for 3 minutes. Turn the mushrooms stem-side up; sprinkle with the cheese, oregano and remaining 1/2 teaspoon black pepper. Continue cooking until the mushrooms are tender and the cheese is melted, about 3 minutes.
To serve, place each mushroom into a roll and sprinkle with basil. Top with sliced tomato and red onion, if desired. Serve immediately.
Recipe reprinted by permission of Mushroom Council. All rights reserved.
Need Something for Your Kitchen?
Get 10% off your first order at our store, CHEFS Catalog!*
plus the latest recipes, exclusive offers, and more straight to your inbox.
*New customers only, some restrictions apply.
Sorry, it appears that you already have subscribed to Cooking.com e-mails.
Click here to modify your email preferences.Close
Sign-up in progress...
Thanks for subscribing and please enjoy the coupons, recipes and special offers coming your way!Close