Firm tofu is ideal for the grill, because it holds its shape and gets nicely smoky. It's excellent with this tangy salsa prepared with piquillo peppers, capers and parsley. Ingredient Tips from F&W Editors
- 8 jarred piquillo peppers drained, rinsed and cut into 1/2-inch-thick strips
- 3 tablespoons capers, drained and coarsely chopped
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Pinch of cayenne
- 5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 18 ounces firm tofu, drained and sliced into 8 rectangles
- Four 1/2-inch-thick slices of ciabatta
Light a grill or preheat a grill pan. In a medium bowl, mix the piquillo pepper strips with the chopped capers, chopped parsley, minced shallot, sherry vinegar, ground cumin, cayenne and 3 tablespoons of the olive oil. Season the piquillo salsa verde with salt and pepper.
Pat the tofu slices dry with paper towels. Brush the tofu and bread on both sides with the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill the bread over moderately high heat, turning once, until lightly charred, about 2 minutes. Grill the tofu, turning once, until grill marks form and the tofu is heated through, about 6 minutes. Transfer the grilled bread and tofu pieces to plates. Spoon the piquillo salsa verde over the tofu and serve.
Get more Food & Wine recipes
Recipe reprinted by permission of Publisher. All rights reserved.
Need Something for Your Kitchen?
Get 10% off your first order at our store, CHEFS Catalog!*
plus the latest recipes, exclusive offers, and more straight to your inbox.
*New customers only, some restrictions apply.
Sorry, it appears that you already have subscribed to Cooking.com e-mails.
Click here to modify your email preferences.Close
Sign-up in progress...
Thanks for subscribing and please enjoy the coupons, recipes and special offers coming your way!Close