Gruyere, Ham and Chicken Bowties
- Total Time 35m
The classic flavors of a Swiss fondue combine to make a cheesy chicken, ham and mushroom pasta -- no fondue pot necessary.
- 8 ounces bowtie pasta, cooked to package directions
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 cups sliced white mushrooms
- 1/2 cup dry white wine (Riesling or sauvignon blanc)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons kirsch (cherry brandy), optional
- 3 cups milk
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 2 cloves roasted garlic, mashed into a paste (see method below)
- 3/4 cup shredded Gruyere cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup diced ham
- 2 1/2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- Tip: To Roast Garlic: Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Slice half an inch off the top of the garlic head, exposing the individual cloves. Rub a 1/2 teaspoon of olive oil over the top of the cloves. Seal the garlic in loosely wrapped foil and place in the oven. Bake for 30-45 minutes or until all cloves are soft. Remove to let cool.
In a large saucepan over medium heat, heat 1 tablespoon of oil. Add onion and cook, stirring, until golden, 6 to 8 minutes. Set onion aside. In the same saucepan over medium heat, melt 1 tablespoon of butter with 1 tablespoon of oil. Saute the mushrooms until golden, about 6 minutes. Add wine, lemon juice and kirsch and simmer 2 minutes. Return the onion to the saucepan.
In a medium bowl, whisk milk, flour, dry mustard and roasted garlic paste together and add to the saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring frequently. Cook until thickened, about 1 minute. Lower the heat to medium-low and stir in the cheeses until melted. Stir in the ham and chicken and cook about 1 minute more. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
Add the pasta to the cheese sauce and chicken. Serve sprinkled with parsley.
Recipe reprinted by permission of Cooking.com. All rights reserved.
Don't Miss Out
Get an instant coupon for 10% off your next order*
plus the latest recipes, exclusive offers, and more straight to your inbox.
*Some restrictions apply.
Sorry, it appears that you already have subscribed to Cooking.com e-mails.
Click here to modify your email preferences.Close
Sign-up in progress...
Thanks for subscribing and please enjoy the coupons, recipes and special offers coming your way!Close
Your instant coupon code is:
Enter code during checkout to receive 10% off your purchase.* This code will also be emailed to you.Close and Continue
*Some restrictions apply. To see restrictions, click here .