This open-face, “fork and knife” sandwich is piled with slices of Guinness-marinated bison steak, mushrooms and red onion.
Make Ahead Tip: Marinate the steak for 12-18 hours.
- 1 cup Guinness beer or other stout
- 1/2 cup finely chopped sweet onion
- 1/3 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons molasses (not blackstrap)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 pound boneless bison rib-eye steaks, 1 1/2-2 inches thick (see Tip)
- 24 cremini mushrooms, stems removed
- 1 large red onion, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 4 slices rye bread, 1/2-3/4 inch thick
- Tips: Rib-eyes are great-tasting bison steaks, but they must be cut thick, at least 1 1/2 inches, so you can sear and brown the outside without overcooking the inside. Because bison is so lean, it’s important to cook the steaks no more than medium-rare to keep them juicy and tender
- No grill basket? You can improvise one with heavy-duty foil. Fold a 24-inch-long piece of heavy-duty foil in half and crimp up the edges to create a lip. This “basket” will prevent the vegetables from falling through the grill rack.
Combine the beer, sweet onion, soy sauce, molasses, rosemary, garlic and Worcestershire sauce in a large sealable plastic bag. Add the steaks. Seal the bag, shake and turn it and refrigerate, flipping over and shaking the bag from time to time, for 12-18 hours.
Preheat a grill to medium. Remove the steaks from the marinade and pat dry. Reserve 1 cup marinade (discard the rest). Brush the mushroom caps and onion slices with oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper and place in a grilling basket. (No grill basket? See Tip, below). Place the basket on the grill; place the steaks directly on the grill rack. Grill the steaks and vegetables until browned on the first side, 5-7 minutes. Turn everything over and grill until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the center of the steak registers 125 degrees F for medium-rare and the vegetables are soft and lightly browned, about 5 minutes more. Remove from the grill and let rest for 5-10 minutes. Lightly grill or toast the bread.
Meanwhile, place the reserved 1 cup marinade in a small saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Boil until reduced by about half, 7-10 minutes.
Divide the mushrooms and onions among the pieces of toast and drizzle each with about 1 tablespoon of the reduced sauce. Slice the steak; divide among the sandwiches and drizzle with more sauce. Pour any accumulated juice from the steak over the sandwiches and serve with a fork and knife.
Recipe reprinted by permission of Publisher. All rights reserved.
nutrition information per serving
343 calories; 10g total fat; 2g total saturated fat; 70mg cholesterol; 591mg sodium; 29g carbohydrates; 3g fiber; 31g protein
These nutrition facts are calculated according to the ingredients listed in this recipe. Any substitutions will change these facts. Although we strive for accuracy, please note that food manufacturers occasionally change their food formulas, which could affect the calculations as shown.
Don't Miss Out
Get an instant coupon for 10% off your next order*
plus the latest recipes, exclusive offers, and more straight to your inbox.
*Some restrictions apply.
Sorry, it appears that you already have subscribed to Cooking.com e-mails.
Click here to modify your email preferences.Close
Sign-up in progress...
Thanks for subscribing and please enjoy the coupons, recipes and special offers coming your way!Close
Your instant coupon code is:
Enter code during checkout to receive 10% off your purchase.* This code will also be emailed to you.Close and Continue
*Some restrictions apply. To see restrictions, click here .