High-quality smoked ham is worth the cost. It infuses the pudding with a smoky flavor that complements the spinach, peppers, rosemary and Gruyére.
Make Ahead Tip: Prepare the pudding through Step 3; refrigerate overnight. Let stand at room temperature while the oven preheats. Bake as directed in Step 4.
- For Custard:
- 4 large egg whites
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup skim milk
- For Seasonings:
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary
- For Bread & Filling:
- 4 cups whole-grain bread, crusts removed if desired, cut into 1-inch cubes (about 1/2 pound, 4 to 6 slices)
- 5 cups chopped spinach, wilted (see Tip)
- 1/2 cup chopped jarred roasted red peppers
- 1 cup diced ham steak (5 ounces)
- For Topping:
- 3/4 cup shredded Gruyére cheese
- Tip: To wilt greens, rinse greens thoroughly in cool water. Transfer them to a large microwave-safe bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and punch several holes in the wrap. Microwave on high until wilted, 2 to 3 minutes. Squeeze out any excess moisture from the greens before adding them to the recipe.
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Coat an 11 by 7-inch glass baking dish or a 2-quart casserole with cooking spray.
To prepare the custard: Whisk the egg whites, eggs and milk in a medium bowl. Add the mustard, pepper and rosemary; whisk to combine.
Toss the bread, spinach, roasted red peppers and ham in a large bowl. Add the custard and toss well to coat. Transfer to the prepared baking dish and push down to compact. Cover with foil.
Bake until the custard has set, 40 to 45 minutes. Uncover, sprinkle with the cheese and continue baking until the pudding is puffed and golden on top, 15 to 20 minutes more. Transfer to a wire rack and cool for 15 to 20 minutes before serving.
Recipe reprinted by permission of Publisher. All rights reserved.
nutrition information per serving
276 calories; 10g total fat; 4g total saturated fat; 169mg cholesterol; 746mg sodium; 25g carbohydrates; 3g fiber; 21g protein
These nutrition facts are calculated according to the ingredients listed in this recipe. Any substitutions will change these facts. Although we strive for accuracy, please note that food manufacturers occasionally change their food formulas, which could affect the calculations as shown.
Don't Miss Out
Get an instant coupon for 10% off your next order*
plus the latest recipes, exclusive offers, and more straight to your inbox.
*Some restrictions apply.
Sorry, it appears that you already have subscribed to Cooking.com e-mails.
Click here to modify your email preferences.Close
Sign-up in progress...
Thanks for subscribing and please enjoy the coupons, recipes and special offers coming your way!Close
Your instant coupon code is:
Enter code during checkout to receive 10% off your purchase.* This code will also be emailed to you.Close and Continue
*Some restrictions apply. To see restrictions, click here .