Harira with Roast Vegetables
- Active Time 15m
- Total Time 1h 15m
- 1 medium onion, peeled, halved, roasted and finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 (14-ounce) cans vegetable stock (approximately 7 1/4 cups)
- 2 cups dry garbanzo beans (soaked overnight in cold water and rinsed)
- 1 cup dry lentils, rinsed
- 2 cups diced, peeled tomatoes (or a 16-ounce can)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped cilantro
Peel and halve the onion. Place on sheet pan and roast at 425 degrees F until golden brown; approximately 15 minutes. Finely chop the onion.
Heat olive oil in a 4-quart pan and cook the celery until softened. Add the roasted onion, garlic and spices. Cook for a few minutes until the spices are fragrant. Add the vegetable stock and bring to a boil.
Add the garbanzo beans, lentils, tomatoes and cook approximately 45 minutes or until the garbanzo beans are nearly tender. Skim during the cooking process and stir occasionally.
At this point, the soup is ready for final seasoning. Taste for salt and pepper and add 1/2 cup freshly chopped cilantro.
Recipe created exclusively for Cooking.com by Cheryl Forberg, R.D.
Recipe reprinted by permission of Publisher. All rights reserved.
nutrition information per serving
315 calories; 4g total fat; 0mg cholesterol; 456mg sodium; 48g carbohydrates; 15g fiber; 23g protein
These nutrition facts are calculated according to the ingredients listed in this recipe. Any substitutions will change these facts. Although we strive for accuracy, please note that food manufacturers occasionally change their food formulas, which could affect the calculations as shown.
Need Something for Your Kitchen?
Get 10% off your first order at our store, CHEFS Catalog!*
plus the latest recipes, exclusive offers, and more straight to your inbox.
*New customers only, some restrictions apply.
Sorry, it appears that you already have subscribed to Cooking.com e-mails.
Click here to modify your email preferences.Close
Sign-up in progress...
Thanks for subscribing and please enjoy the coupons, recipes and special offers coming your way!Close