- Special Savings
The Good News This satisfying soup from David Bull is an excellent source of fiber.
- 1 1/4 cups dried white beans, soaked overnight and drained (8 ounces)
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 ounces pancetta, finely diced
- 2 medium shallots, minced
- 2 large celery ribs, finely diced
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 1 large carrot finely diced
- 1/2 fennel bulb, cored and diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 14 ounce can plum tomatoes chopped, juices reserved
- 1 quart low-sodium chicken broth
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup baby arugula
- 1/2 cup flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Tip: One Serving 475 cal, 18 gm fat, 4.1 gm sat fat, 55 gm carb, 14 gm fiber.
In a pot, cover the beans with 2 inches of water and bring to a boil. Simmer over low heat until tender, about 2 hours; add water to keep the beans covered. Drain the beans and reserve the cooking liquid.
Meanwhile, in another pot, heat 2 tablespoons of the oil. Add the pancetta and cook over moderate heat until crisp, 4 minutes. Add the shallots, celery, onion, carrot and fennel, and cook until softened. Add the garlic, crushed pepper and bay leaves and cook, stirring, until fragrant. Add the tomato paste and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes and broth; bring to a boil. Simmer over low heat for 1 hour. Add the beans and enough cooking liquid to thin out the soup. Discard the bay leaves; season with salt and pepper.
In a bowl, toss the arugula and parsley with the lemon juice and remaining 1 tablespoon of oil. Season with salt and pepper. Serve the soup in bowls; top with the salad.
Get more Food & Wine recipes
Recipe reprinted by permission of Publisher. All rights reserved.
Don't Miss Out
Get an instant coupon for 10% off your next order*
plus the latest recipes, exclusive offers, and more straight to your inbox.
*Some restrictions apply.
Sorry, it appears that you already have subscribed to Cooking.com e-mails.
Click here to modify your email preferences.Close
Sign-up in progress...
Thanks for subscribing and please enjoy the coupons, recipes and special offers coming your way!Close
Your instant coupon code is:
Enter code during checkout to receive 10% off your purchase.* This code will also be emailed to you.Close and Continue
*Some restrictions apply. To see restrictions, click here .