- Special Savings
Hero Pasta Salad
- Active Time 20m
- Total Time 20m
Makes 4 main-dish servings
This salad lends itself well to improvisation. Try adding some sliced imported olives, capers, chopped sweet peppers, or yellow or orange tomatoes. If making it ahead, wait to add the lettuce and tomato until just before serving time.
- For the Salad:
- 3 ounces rotini, cavatelli or other dried shaped pasta (1 cup)
- 1 cup cubed provolone cheese (4 ounces)
- 2 ounces fully cooked ham, cut into thin bitesize strips (1/2 cup)
- 2 ounces hard salami, chopped (1/2 cup)
- 1 small red onion, halved then sliced
- 1/2 cup pepperoncini, sliced or sliced mild pepper rings
- 2 cups shredded iceberg or romaine lettuce
- 1 large tomato, coarsely chopped or 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- For the Dressing:
- 3 tablespoons olive oil or salad oil
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh oregano or 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 2 small cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
In a large saucepan or pasta pot bring 3 quarts water to a boil. Add pasta. Reduce heat slightly. Boil, uncovered, for 8-12 minutes, or till pasta is al dente, stirring occasionally. (Or, cook according to package directions.) Immediately drain. Rinse with cold water and drain again thoroughly.
In a large bowl toss together cooked pasta, provolone cheese, ham, salami, onion and pepperoncini or pepper rings. Add lettuce and tomato; gently toss to mix.
In a screw-top jar combine olive oil or salad oil, vinegar, oregano, garlic, dry mustard and pepper. Cover; shake well. Pour over pasta mixture; toss to coat all ingredients with dressing and serve.
Recipe reprinted by permission of Weldon Owen. All rights reserved.
nutrition information per serving
372 calories; 24g total fat; 39mg cholesterol; 768mg sodium; 22g carbohydrates; 2g fiber; 18g protein
These nutrition facts are calculated according to the ingredients listed in this recipe. Any substitutions will change these facts. Although we strive for accuracy, please note that food manufacturers occasionally change their food formulas, which could affect the calculations as shown.
Don't Miss Out
Get an instant coupon for 10% off your next order*
plus the latest recipes, exclusive offers, and more straight to your inbox.
*Some restrictions apply.
Sorry, it appears that you already have subscribed to Cooking.com e-mails.
Click here to modify your email preferences.Close
Sign-up in progress...
Thanks for subscribing and please enjoy the coupons, recipes and special offers coming your way!Close
Your instant coupon code is:
Enter code during checkout to receive 10% off your purchase.* This code will also be emailed to you.Close and Continue
*Some restrictions apply. To see restrictions, click here .