Before the hard salami, ham and provolone are piled on, the bread for these New Orleans sandwiches is spread with a piquant olive salad flavored with garlic, oregano and fresh parsley.
WINE RECOMMENDATION: Beaujolais has been called the perfect picnic wine. An exuberantly fruity bottle suits this jazzed-up ham-and-cheese sandwich perfectly.
- 1 10-ounce jar green olives with pimientos, drained and chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 4 large, crusty rolls, split
- 1/2 pound sliced hard salami
- 1/2 pound sliced ham
- 1/2 pound sliced provolone
Heat the oven to 350 degrees F. In a small bowl, combine the chopped olives with the oregano, garlic, oil and parsley. Spread some of the olive mixture on the bottom half of each roll.
Top the olive salad with the salami, ham and provolone. Cover with the tops of the rolls and then wrap each sandwich in aluminum foil. Bake until the cheese melts, about 15 minutes.
- Instead of heating the sandwiches, serve them the more traditional way at room temperature.
- Use a combination of chopped, pitted black olives, such as Kalamata, and green olives with pimientos in the salad for both color and flavor.
Recipe reprinted by permission of Food and Wine. All rights reserved.
nutrition information per serving
792 calories; 58g total fat; 111mg cholesterol; 3824mg sodium; 28g carbohydrates; 1g fiber; 42g protein
These nutrition facts are calculated according to the ingredients listed in this recipe. Any substitutions will change these facts. Although we strive for accuracy, please note that food manufacturers occasionally change their food formulas, which could affect the calculations as shown.
Need Something for Your Kitchen?
Get 10% off your first order at our store, CHEFS Catalog!*
plus the latest recipes, exclusive offers, and more straight to your inbox.
*New customers only, some restrictions apply.
Sorry, it appears that you already have subscribed to Cooking.com e-mails.
Click here to modify your email preferences.Close
Sign-up in progress...
Thanks for subscribing and please enjoy the coupons, recipes and special offers coming your way!Close