- 1/2 small onion, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions (green part only)
- 1 medium habanero chili or jalapeno chili, seeded if desired
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- One 4-pound whole chicken, wing tips tucked under
Steamed white rice
- Fried Plantains
- Mango and Black Bean Salsa
Puree the first 12 ingredients in a food processor until smooth. Place the chicken in a large glass or ceramic bowl. Rub the marinade all over the chicken and inside body cavity. Marinate at least 1 hour or overnight.
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
Place the chicken, breast-side up, on rack set in a large roasting pan. Add 1 cup water to the pan to prevent the pan drippings from scorching. Roast the chicken 30 minutes. Turn the chicken over (back-side up) and roast 30 minutes. Turn the chicken over again (breast-side up), and roast until the chicken is golden brown and an instant-read meat thermometer registers 160 degrees F when inserted into the innermost part of the thigh, about 30 minutes longer.
Transfer the chicken to a platter. Tent with foil and let stand 10 minutes. Serve with steamed white rice and salsa.
Recipe created exclusively for Cooking.com by Robert M. Danhi and Estrellita Leong-Danhi.
Recipe reprinted by permission of Publisher. All rights reserved.
nutrition information per serving
761 calories; 19g total fat; 155mg cholesterol; 1608mg sodium; 97g carbohydrates; 13g fiber; 56g protein
These nutrition facts are calculated according to the ingredients listed in this recipe. Any substitutions will change these facts. Although we strive for accuracy, please note that food manufacturers occasionally change their food formulas, which could affect the calculations as shown.