A tagine is a slow-cooked Moroccan stew (traditionally served over couscous)—but here it’s quicker and (dare we say it?) tastier, thanks in large part to the bright spike of kumquats.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, slivered
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs trimmed of fat, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- One 14-ounce can vegetable broth
- 12 ounces kumquats seeded (see tip) and roughly chopped
- One 15-ounce can chickpeas rinsed
- 1 1/2 tablespoons honey
- Tip: To seed a kumquat, cut lengthwise, then remove the few seeds with the knife tip or your finger.
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
Heat the oil in an ovenproof casserole or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onions; cook, stirring often, until softened, about 4 minutes. Add the garlic and ginger; cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
Add the chicken; cook, stirring often, for 8 minutes. Stir in the coriander, cumin, cinnamon, salt, pepper and cloves; cook until aromatic, about 20 seconds. Stir in the broth, kumquats, chickpeas and honey. Bring to a simmer.
Cover the pan and transfer to the oven. Bake, stirring occasionally, until the chicken is cooked through and the broth is bubbling and somewhat reduced, about 1 hour.
Recipe reprinted by permission of Publisher. All rights reserved.
nutrition information per serving
391 calories; 15g total fat; 3g total saturated fat; 101mg cholesterol; 490mg sodium; 31g carbohydrates; 8g fiber; 34g protein
These nutrition facts are calculated according to the ingredients listed in this recipe. Any substitutions will change these facts. Although we strive for accuracy, please note that food manufacturers occasionally change their food formulas, which could affect the calculations as shown.
Don't Miss Out
Get an instant coupon for 10% off your next order*
plus the latest recipes, exclusive offers, and more straight to your inbox.
*Some restrictions apply.
Sorry, it appears that you already have subscribed to Cooking.com e-mails.
Click here to modify your email preferences.Close
Sign-up in progress...
Thanks for subscribing and please enjoy the coupons, recipes and special offers coming your way!Close
Your instant coupon code is*
Enter code during checkout to receive 10% off your purchase.* This code will also be emailed to you.Close and Continue
*Some restrictions apply. To see restrictions, click here .