Bill Bowick, co-owner of Charleston's Sugar Bakeshop, created this impressive recipe to use the treasured Bundt-cake pan that Leigh Magar got from her great-grandmother. Leigh served the cake at her grandmother's 92nd birthday party.
- For the Cake:
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
- 3 1/3 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 10 large eggs, at room temperature
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup heavy cream, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon finely grated orange zest
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- For the Glaze:
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons finely grated orange zest
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F. Generously butter and flour a standard 12-cup, 10-inch Bundt pan, preferably nonstick.
In the bowl of a standing electric mixer fitted with the paddle, beat the butter with the sugar and salt at medium speed until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add the eggs 1 at a time, beating well between additions. At low speed, beat in the flour and cream in 3 alternating batches, scraping down the side of the bowl once or twice. Beat in the vanilla and the lemon zest, lemon juice, orange zest and orange juice.
Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and bake for about 1 hour and 45 minutes, until the top is golden and lightly cracked and a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out with a few moist crumbs attached. Let the cake cool in the pan on a rack for 15 minutes, then turn the cake out onto the rack and let it cool completely.
In a medium bowl, whisk all of the glaze ingredients together until smooth. Using a skewer, poke deep holes all over the top of the cake. Brush the glaze all over the cake in several layers until thickly glazed. Drizzle any remaining glaze on top and let it set before serving.
Recipe reprinted by permission of Publisher. All rights reserved.
Need Something for Your Kitchen?
Get 10% off your first order at our store, CHEFS Catalog!*
plus the latest recipes, exclusive offers, and more straight to your inbox.
*New customers only, some restrictions apply.
Sorry, it appears that you already have subscribed to Cooking.com e-mails.
Click here to modify your email preferences.Close
Sign-up in progress...
Thanks for subscribing and please enjoy the coupons, recipes and special offers coming your way!Close