The Good News For this refreshingly crunchy salad, Mark Peel adds mineral-rich romaine lettuce, frisée and sliced radishes to the classic Waldorf salad mix of apples, celery and walnuts. In place of the traditional mayonnaise-based dressing, he makes a lemon–walnut oil vinaigrette flavored with cumin.
- 1/2 cup walnut halves (2 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons walnut oil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 cups shredded romaine lettuce (4 ounces)
- 4 large radishes, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced crosswise (1 cup)
- 1 1/4 cups chopped celery leaves, plus 1/4 cup chopped celery leaves (from 4 inner ribs)
- 1 small head of frisée coarsely chopped (6 ounces)
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- 1 Fuji apple peeled, quartered, cored and thinly sliced crosswise
- Tip: One Serving 262 cal, 12 gm carb, 24 gm fat, 1.9 gm sat fat, 2 gm protein, 2 gm fiber.
Preheat the oven to 350°. Spread the walnuts in a pie plate and toast for about 8 minutes, until golden and fragrant. Let the nuts cool, then break into pieces.
Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the shallot and lemon zest with the lemon juice and vinegar. Whisk in the canola and walnut oils and the cumin. Season the dressing with salt and pepper.
Add the shredded romaine lettuce to the bowl along with the toasted walnuts, radishes, sliced celery hearts, celery leaves, chopped frisée, raisins and apple. Toss well and serve right away.
Get more Food & Wine recipes
Recipe reprinted by permission of Publisher. All rights reserved.
Need Something for Your Kitchen?
Get 10% off your first order at our store, CHEFS Catalog!*
plus the latest recipes, exclusive offers, and more straight to your inbox.
*New customers only, some restrictions apply.
Sorry, it appears that you already have subscribed to Cooking.com e-mails.
Click here to modify your email preferences.Close
Sign-up in progress...
Thanks for subscribing and please enjoy the coupons, recipes and special offers coming your way!Close