A bit of chorizo sausage gives these beans a sassy hit of smoke and spice. Serve them as is (on small plates) or heaped onto slices of garlic-rubbed toast.
Make Ahead Tip: Prepare up to 2 days in advance. Bring to room temperature or reheat on medium-low heat before serving.
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 medium carrots, minced
- 1 large red onion, peeled and minced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons minced fresh thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 3 ounces reduced-fat Spanish-style chorizo, finely diced (see tip)
- Three 10-ounce packages frozen baby lima beans
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Tip: Spanish-style chorizo is a seasoned, smoked pork sausage commonly used in tapas dishes, but it's rather high in fat. There is also a Mexican style of chorizo, typically uncooked; the Spanish chorizo is fully cooked. If you can't find reduced-fat chorizo but still want to keep the fat in check, use just 1 ounce of full-fat chorizo in this recipe.
Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the carrots, onion, thyme and crushed red pepper and cook, stirring, until beginning to brown, 6-8 minutes. Stir in the chorizo and cook, stirring occasionally, until heated through, about 5 minutes more. Add the lima beans, wine, broth and garlic and cook for 5 minutes, scraping up any browned bits. Cover and cook over medium-low heat for 20 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the remaining 2 tablespoons oil, vinegar and salt. Let stand for at least 10 minutes before serving.
Recipe reprinted by permission of Publisher. All rights reserved.
nutrition information per serving
150 calories; 5g total fat; 1g total saturated fat; 0mg cholesterol; 125mg sodium; 17g carbohydrates; 5g fiber; 7g protein
These nutrition facts are calculated according to the ingredients listed in this recipe. Any substitutions will change these facts. Although we strive for accuracy, please note that food manufacturers occasionally change their food formulas, which could affect the calculations as shown.
Don't Miss Out
Get an instant coupon for 10% off your next order*
plus the latest recipes, exclusive offers, and more straight to your inbox.
*Some restrictions apply.
Sorry, it appears that you already have subscribed to Cooking.com e-mails.
Click here to modify your email preferences.Close
Sign-up in progress...
Thanks for subscribing and please enjoy the coupons, recipes and special offers coming your way!Close
Your instant coupon code is:
Enter code during checkout to receive 10% off your purchase.* This code will also be emailed to you.Close and Continue
*Some restrictions apply. To see restrictions, click here .