- Special Pricing
A pot of this classic Cajun comfort dish used to bubble on the back of the stove on wash day. This quick version gets its smoky goodness from super-lean Canadian bacon and a hit of ground chipotle pepper.
- 4 1/3 cups water, divided
- 1 1/2 cups brown basmati rice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- Two 15-ounce cans red kidney beans or pink beans, rinsed
- 6 ounces sliced Canadian bacon, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped celery plus 1 tablespoon finely chopped celery leaves
- 1/2 cup diced green bell pepper
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon ground chipotle pepper (see Note) or cayenne pepper
- Note: Chipotle peppers are dried, smoked jalapeno peppers. They are often used to add heat and a smoky flavor to foods. Ground chipotle can be found in the specialty spice section of most supermarkets.
Combine 3 1/3 cups water, rice and salt in a large saucepan. Bring to a simmer; reduce heat to low, cover and cook until all the water has been absorbed, about 45 minutes.
About 10 minutes before the rice is ready, heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring, until the onion is lightly colored and tender, about 3 minutes.
Place 1 cup beans in a small bowl and mash with a fork. Add the mashed and whole beans, the remaining 1 cup water, Canadian bacon, celery, celery leaves, bell pepper and ground chipotle (or cayenne) to the pan. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until the liquid has thickened into a gravy and the vegetables are crisp-tender, about 6 minutes. Serve in shallow bowls, spooned over the rice.
Recipe reprinted by permission of Publisher. All rights reserved.
nutrition information per serving
342 calories; 6g total fat; 1g total saturated fat; 14mg cholesterol; 773mg sodium; 55g carbohydrates; 8g fiber; 17g protein
These nutrition facts are calculated according to the ingredients listed in this recipe. Any substitutions will change these facts. Although we strive for accuracy, please note that food manufacturers occasionally change their food formulas, which could affect the calculations as shown.
Don't Miss Out
Get an instant coupon for 10% off your next order*
plus the latest recipes, exclusive offers, and more straight to your inbox.
*Some restrictions apply.
Sorry, it appears that you already have subscribed to Cooking.com e-mails.
Click here to modify your email preferences.Close
Sign-up in progress...
Thanks for subscribing and please enjoy the coupons, recipes and special offers coming your way!Close
Your instant coupon code is:
Enter code during checkout to receive 10% off your purchase.* This code will also be emailed to you.Close and Continue
*Some restrictions apply. To see restrictions, click here .