If you like Manhattan clam chowder, you'll love how delicious our version is when made with crab. Take your time to finely dice the vegetables and the soup will cook faster. Make it a meal: All you need is crusty bread or oyster crackers and a tossed salad and you've got dinner.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup finely diced onion
- 1 cup finely diced cored fennel bulb, plus 2 tablespoons chopped fronds, divided
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning blend
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- One 14-ounce can reduced-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 cups precooked diced potatoes (see tip)
- 2 cups canned crushed tomatoes
- 1 pound pasteurized crabmeat, drained if necessary
- We call for convenient canned crushed tomatoes, but you only need 2 cups; store leftover tomatoes in an airtight container for 1 week in the refrigerator or months in the freezer.
Note: Look for precooked diced potatoes in the refrigerated section of most supermarket produce departments—near other fresh, prepared vegetables.
Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion, fennel bulb, garlic, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper and cook, stirring often, until the vegetables are just starting to brown, 6-8 minutes.
Add the broth, water and potatoes; bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook until the vegetables are tender, 3-5 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes, crab and fennel fronds. Return to a boil, stirring often; immediately remove from heat.
Recipe reprinted by permission of Publisher. All rights reserved.
nutrition information per serving
211 calories; 5g total fat; 1g total saturated fat; 88mg cholesterol; 647mg sodium; 21g carbohydrates; 3g fiber; 18g protein
These nutrition facts are calculated according to the ingredients listed in this recipe. Any substitutions will change these facts. Although we strive for accuracy, please note that food manufacturers occasionally change their food formulas, which could affect the calculations as shown.
Don't Miss Out
Get an instant coupon for 10% off your next order*
plus the latest recipes, exclusive offers, and more straight to your inbox.
*Some restrictions apply.
Sorry, it appears that you already have subscribed to Cooking.com e-mails.
Click here to modify your email preferences.Close
Sign-up in progress...
Thanks for subscribing and please enjoy the coupons, recipes and special offers coming your way!Close
Your instant coupon code is:
Enter code during checkout to receive 10% off your purchase.* This code will also be emailed to you.Close and Continue
*Some restrictions apply. To see restrictions, click here .