- Active Time 5m
- Total Time 5m
No one agrees on when it was invented, though some legends trace it to the Manhattan Club in the 1870s. And purists can't agree on what goes in it: bourbon, rye, or blended whiskey. And is it equal parts vermouth, or 3 to 1, or 4 to 1? As for bitters, do you reach for Angostura or orange? We reached some conclusions for our bona fide sweet Manhattan. But experiment with proportions and ingredients to craft your vision of the original—or explore the variations below.
- 1 1/2 cups cracked ice or 6 ice cubes
- 1 1/2 ounces bourbon, rye, or blended whiskey
- 1/2 ounce sweet vermouth
- Dash of Angostura bitters
- 1 maraschino cherry for garnish
Chill a cocktail glass.
Fill a cocktail shaker with the ice and add the bourbon, sweet vermouth, and bitters. Stir with a long-handled bar spoon to blend and chill.
Strain the mixture into the chilled glass and garnish with the cherry.
- MANHATTAN PERFECT: Add 1/4 ounce dry vermouth and a lemon twist.
- DRY MANHATTAN: Eliminate the sweet vermouth; add 1/4 ounce dry vermouth, and garnish with a lemon twist.
- ROB ROY: Replace the bourbon with Scotch whisky.
- ODDBALL MANHATTANS: Add a few dashes of blue curaçao or green Chartreuse
Recipe reprinted by permission of Chronicle. All rights reserved.
nutrition information per serving
130 calories; 0g total fat; 0mg cholesterol; 6mg sodium; 5g carbohydrates; 0g fiber; 0g protein
These nutrition facts are calculated according to the ingredients listed in this recipe. Any substitutions will change these facts. Although we strive for accuracy, please note that food manufacturers occasionally change their food formulas, which could affect the calculations as shown.
Need Something for Your Kitchen?
Get 15% off your first order at our store, CHEFS Catalog!*
plus the latest recipes, exclusive offers, and more straight to your inbox.
*New customers only, some restrictions apply.
Sorry, it appears that you already have subscribed to Cooking.com e-mails.
Click here to modify your email preferences.Close
Sign-up in progress...
Thanks for subscribing and please enjoy the coupons, recipes and special offers coming your way!Close