Mexican Polenta Scramble
- Active Time 30m
- Total Time 30m
4 servings, 1 1/2 cups each
We've borrowed the best Mexican flavors and ingredients for this quick scramble. Poblano peppers can vary widely, but in general they have a medium level of spiciness. If you can't find them, green bell peppers can be substituted; to replace the heat of the poblanos, add a minced jalapeno pepper. Make it a Meal: For supper, serve with a side of black beans; for brunch, with eggs and corn tortillas.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 poblanos or 2 green bell peppers, diced
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- One 16-ounce tube prepared plain polenta, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 bunch scallions, trimmed and sliced
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat Cheddar cheese, preferably sharp
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 avocado, diced
- 2 tablespoons pepitas, toasted (see Tip)
- Tip: Pepitas, olive-green-hulled pumpkin seeds, are commonly used in Mexican cooking and are a perfect snack when roasted and lightly salted. To toast pepitas: Cook in a small dry skillet over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2-4 minutes.
Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the peppers and cook, stirring occasionally, until bright green and just starting to soften, about 3 minutes. Stir
in the tomatoes, cumin and salt; cook, stirring often, until the tomatoes start to break down,
2-3 minutes. Crumble the polenta slices into the pan and cook, stirring occasionally, until heated through, 1-2 minutes. Stir in the scallions, cheese, cilantro and lime juice. Serve the scramble topped with diced avocado and toasted pepitas.
Recipe reprinted by permission of Publisher. All rights reserved.
nutrition information per serving
315 calories; 20g total fat; 6g total saturated fat; 20mg cholesterol; 600mg sodium; 26g carbohydrates; 6g fiber; 13g protein
These nutrition facts are calculated according to the ingredients listed in this recipe. Any substitutions will change these facts. Although we strive for accuracy, please note that food manufacturers occasionally change their food formulas, which could affect the calculations as shown.
Don't Miss Out
Get an instant coupon for 10% off your next order*
plus the latest recipes, exclusive offers, and more straight to your inbox.
*Some restrictions apply.
Sorry, it appears that you already have subscribed to Cooking.com e-mails.
Click here to modify your email preferences.Close
Sign-up in progress...
Thanks for subscribing and please enjoy the coupons, recipes and special offers coming your way!Close
Your instant coupon code is:
Enter code during checkout to receive 10% off your purchase.* This code will also be emailed to you.Close and Continue
*Some restrictions apply. To see restrictions, click here .