- Special Pricing
- 2 tablespoons EVOO (extra-virgin olive oil)
- 1/4 pound slice pancetta, cut into 1/4-inch dice (optional)
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped into 1/4-inch dice
- 3 celery stalks, chopped into 1/4-inch dice
- 2 bay leaves, fresh or dried
- 3 to 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped or grated
- 1 large or 2 medium red onions, chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 1 ounce dried porcini or mixed wild mushrooms, chopped
- 1/2 cup soft sun-dried tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 quart chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 small bunch of purple or green kale, washed and dried
- 1 cup semolina or whole-wheat ditafini or other short cut pasta
- One 15-ounce can chickpeas
- Pecorino Romano, grated or shredded, to pass at the table
Place a heavy-bottomed soup pot over medium-high heat with the EVOO. Add the pancetta to the pot (if using) and cook until crispy, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the carrots, celery, bay leaves, garlic and onions to the pot, season with salt and pepper and cook until the veggies are tender, 7 to 8 minutes more.
Add the mushrooms, sun-dried tomatoes, stock and 2 cups water to the pot, and bring up to a boil.
Hold the kale by the stems and curl up your opposite hand around the greens at the base of the stem. With a quick jerking motion strip the greens off and away from the stems and chop the greens.
Add the kale, pasta and chickpeas to the soup pot, and cook until the pasta is al dente.
Season the soup with salt and pepper to taste. Discard the bay leaves.
Ladle the soup into shallow bowls, top with the Pecorino Romano and serve.
Recipe reprinted by permission of Random House. All rights reserved.
Don't Miss Out
Get an instant coupon for 10% off your next order*
plus the latest recipes, exclusive offers, and more straight to your inbox.
*Some restrictions apply.
Sorry, it appears that you already have subscribed to Cooking.com e-mails.
Click here to modify your email preferences.Close
Sign-up in progress...
Thanks for subscribing and please enjoy the coupons, recipes and special offers coming your way!Close
Your instant coupon code is:
Enter code during checkout to receive 10% off your purchase.* This code will also be emailed to you.Close and Continue
*Some restrictions apply. To see restrictions, click here .