This salad from Jose Galindo uses both Mexican ingredients and foreign elements, such as the red oak leaf and boston (butterhead) lettuces. The result is surprisingly delectable.
- 2 heads each red oak leaf and boston lettuce, washed and torn
- 1 red onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 firm mangoes, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 1 jicama, peeled, and cut in 1/4-x 2-inch strips, or subtitute water chestnuts
- 2 avocados, pitted, peeled, and sliced
- For Vinaigrette:
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 shallots, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup chopped flat-leaf (Italian) parsley
- 1 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 pinch ground cloves
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup olive oil
Place the lettuce leaves, onion, mangoes and jicama in a salad bowl.
To make the vinaigrette: Place all of the ingredients in a blender and blend until completely smooth.
Pour the vinaigrette over the salad and toss. Garnish with the avocado slices, and serve immediately.
Recipe reprinted by permission of Weldon Russell. All rights reserved.
nutrition information per serving
276 calories; 23g total fat; 0mg cholesterol; 206mg sodium; 17g carbohydrates; 6g fiber; 2g protein
These nutrition facts are calculated according to the ingredients listed in this recipe. Any substitutions will change these facts. Although we strive for accuracy, please note that food manufacturers occasionally change their food formulas, which could affect the calculations as shown.
Need Something for Your Kitchen?
Get 10% off your first order at our store, CHEFS Catalog!*
plus the latest recipes, exclusive offers, and more straight to your inbox.
*New customers only, some restrictions apply.
Sorry, it appears that you already have subscribed to Cooking.com e-mails.
Click here to modify your email preferences.Close
Sign-up in progress...
Thanks for subscribing and please enjoy the coupons, recipes and special offers coming your way!Close