- For the Meatballs:
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 pound ground beef
- For the Sauce:
- 1 pound Italian sausage links, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 2 cans (28 ounces each) plum or whole tomatoes, drained and diced
- 2 cans (8 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 1 can (14 1/2 ounces) beef broth
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons each dried basil, oregano and parsley flakes
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Hot cooked spaghetti
- Grated Parmesan cheese
In a bowl, combine the first six ingredients. Add beef and mix well. Shape into eight meatballs. Brown in a Dutch oven over medium heat; drain and set meatballs aside.
In the same pan, cook sausage, onion and green pepper until vegetables are tender; drain.
Add the tomatoes, tomato sauce, broth, tomato paste, garlic and seasonings. Add meatballs; stir gently. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2-3 hours. Serve over spaghetti; sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
Special Offer: Take advantage of a special offer for Cooking.com guests and subscribe today to Taste of Home magazine! Click for details.
Recipe reprinted by permission of RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC – &copy; 2014. All rights reserved.