Apples and fennel pair beautifully in this dish.
- 2 teaspoons walnut oil or canola oil
- 1 tart green apple, such as Granny Smith, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 small bupound fennel, quartered, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh sage or 1/4 teaspoon dried
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth or chicken broth
- 1/4 cup dry vermouth or dry white wine
- 2 pounds mussels, scrubbed and debearded (see Note)
- Tip: To debeard a mussel: Hold the mussel in one hand. Firmly pull out the black fibrous "beard" from the shell.
Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
Add the apple, fennel and onion. Cook, stirring frequently, until softened, 6 to 8 minutes.
Stir in the thyme, sage and nutmeg. Cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
Pour in the broth and vermouth (or wine), stirring to scrape up any browned bits. Bring to a simmer.
Add the mussels and stir to combine. Return to a simmer. Cover, reduce the heat and simmer until the mussels open, 6 to 8 minutes. Stir; discard any unopened mussels before serving.
Recipe reprinted by permission of Publisher. All rights reserved.
nutrition information per serving
310 calories; 9g total fat; 1g total saturated fat; 48mg cholesterol; 494mg sodium; 29g carbohydrates; 6g fiber; 23g protein
These nutrition facts are calculated according to the ingredients listed in this recipe. Any substitutions will change these facts. Although we strive for accuracy, please note that food manufacturers occasionally change their food formulas, which could affect the calculations as shown.
Don't Miss Out
Get an instant coupon for 10% off your next order*
plus the latest recipes, exclusive offers, and more straight to your inbox.
*Some restrictions apply.
Sorry, it appears that you already have subscribed to Cooking.com e-mails.
Click here to modify your email preferences.Close
Sign-up in progress...
Thanks for subscribing and please enjoy the coupons, recipes and special offers coming your way!Close
Your instant coupon code is:
Enter code during checkout to receive 10% off your purchase.* This code will also be emailed to you.Close and Continue
*Some restrictions apply. To see restrictions, click here .