In Mexico, papayas are served with a wedge of lime and a pinch of salt. This sorbet honors the sweet-tart combination and transforms it into an elegant dessert. It's like a tropical vacation in your mouth.
Make Ahead Tip: The sorbet will keep in the freezer, without freezing solid, for up to 3 hours. (Alternatively, prepare through Step 3, transfer to a shallow pan, cover and freeze for up to 1 month. Before serving, let defrost for 30 minutes, break into small chunks and process in small batches in a food processor until smooth and scoopable.)
- 8 cups peeled, seeded and diced ripe papaya (about 1 very large or 8 small; see Ingredient Note)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup "lite" coconut milk, divided
- 2 tablespoons lime juice, divided
- 1 teaspoon lime zest, divided
- 2 pinches of salt
- Ingredient Note: Very large papayas, 3 to 4 pounds each, are available in many big supermarkets. Smaller papayas (about the size of a mango and yielding about 1 cup of diced fruit each) will also work well. To select a ripe papaya, look for skin that is about half golden yellow and half green and yields to gentle pressure, like a ripe peach or nectarine. It's common to find very green papayas in the store, but once home, they'll ripen—out of the refrigerator—in 2 to 3 days.
Line a large baking sheet with parchment or wax paper. Arrange the diced papaya in a single layer and freeze overnight.
Combine the water and sugar in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring constantly, until the sugar is completely dissolved and syrupy, 3 to 5 minutes. Pour the syrup into a glass measuring cup and let cool for 15 minutes. Remove the papaya from the freezer to defrost while the syrup is cooling.
Transfer half the frozen papaya to a food processor. Add half the syrup, 2 tablespoons coconut milk, 1 tablespoon lime juice, 1/2 teaspoon lime zest and a pinch of salt. Pulse two or three times then process until smooth, stopping to scrape down the sides and stir as necessary. Transfer the sorbet to a large serving bowl. Repeat with the remaining ingredients; add to the serving bowl. Serve immediately or freeze until ready to use.
Recipe reprinted by permission of Publisher. All rights reserved.
nutrition information per serving
110 calories; 1g total fat; 0g total saturated fat; 0mg cholesterol; 43mg sodium; 27g carbohydrates; 3g fiber; 1g protein
These nutrition facts are calculated according to the ingredients listed in this recipe. Any substitutions will change these facts. Although we strive for accuracy, please note that food manufacturers occasionally change their food formulas, which could affect the calculations as shown.
Don't Miss Out
Get an instant coupon for 10% off your next order*
plus the latest recipes, exclusive offers, and more straight to your inbox.
*Some restrictions apply.
Sorry, it appears that you already have subscribed to Cooking.com e-mails.
Click here to modify your email preferences.Close
Sign-up in progress...
Thanks for subscribing and please enjoy the coupons, recipes and special offers coming your way!Close
Your instant coupon code is:
Enter code during checkout to receive 10% off your purchase.* This code will also be emailed to you.Close and Continue
*Some restrictions apply. To see restrictions, click here .