Tapenade, a purée of olives, capers, and anchovies, is generally offered as an appetizer served with bread, but it also makes a splendid main course when tossed with hot pasta.
- 8 ounces cavatelli, conchiglie, or other dried shaped pasta
- 1/2 of a fennel bulb or 1/2 cup celery, bias-sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1/2 of a red sweet pepper, cut into thin bite-size strips
- 1/2 of a yellow sweet pepper, cut into thin bite-size strips
- 1/2 cup pitted black Greek olives, Niçoise olives, or pitted ripe olives
- 3 1/2 ounce can tuna (water pack), drained
- 1 tablespoon capers, drained
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano or thyme, crushed
- 1 teaspoon anchovy paste (optional)
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or cooking oil
- 1-2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh parsley
In a large saucepan or pasta pot bring 3 quarts water to boiling. Add pasta. Reduce heat slightly. Boil, uncovered, for 12-14 minutes, or till pasta is al dente, stirring occasionally. Add fennel and red and yellow sweet pepper during the last 2 minutes of cooking. (Or, cook according to package directions, adding fennel and sweet pepper the last 2 minutes.) Immediately drain. Return pasta-vegetable mixture to warm pan.
Meanwhile, in a food processor bowl or blender container place the olives, tuna, capers, oregano or thyme, anchovy paste (if desired), garlic, and oil. Process or blend till mixture is smooth. Add lemon juice to taste. Add tuna mixture and parsley to hot cooked pasta mixture and toss to coat. Serve immediately.
Recipe reprinted by permission of Weldon Owen. All rights reserved.
nutrition information per serving
301 calories; 7g total fat; 7mg cholesterol; 329mg sodium; 47g carbohydrates; 4g fiber; 15g protein
These nutrition facts are calculated according to the ingredients listed in this recipe. Any substitutions will change these facts. Although we strive for accuracy, please note that food manufacturers occasionally change their food formulas, which could affect the calculations as shown.
Don't Miss Out
Get an instant coupon for 10% off your next order*
plus the latest recipes, exclusive offers, and more straight to your inbox.
*Some restrictions apply.
Sorry, it appears that you already have subscribed to Cooking.com e-mails.
Click here to modify your email preferences.Close
Sign-up in progress...
Thanks for subscribing and please enjoy the coupons, recipes and special offers coming your way!Close
Your instant coupon code is:
Enter code during checkout to receive 10% off your purchase.* This code will also be emailed to you.Close and Continue
*Some restrictions apply. To see restrictions, click here .