- 1 pound penne
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 small red chili pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 3 1/2 ounces coppacolla or smoked bacon, diced
- 8 stalks, Swiss chard, or spinach, washed, hard stalk removed and shredded
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
Cook the pasta in boiling salted water while preparing the chard mixture.
Heat the oil in a frying pan and add the garlic, onion, chili and coppacolla. Cook for 2 minutes. Add the chard and stir-fry until the chard just starts to wilt. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Drain the pasta, return it to the saucepan and stir in the Parmesan. Add the chard mixture, stir thoroughly. Serve immediately.
Recipe reprinted by permission of Weldon Russell. All rights reserved.
nutrition information per serving
774 calories; 33g total fat; 32mg cholesterol; 621mg sodium; 80g carbohydrates; 4g fiber; 39g protein
These nutrition facts are calculated according to the ingredients listed in this recipe. Any substitutions will change these facts. Although we strive for accuracy, please note that food manufacturers occasionally change their food formulas, which could affect the calculations as shown.