Potato Latkes with Caramelized Three Onion Relish
Makes about: 20
- For the Potato Latkes:
- 3/4 pound organic yellow onions, finely chopped
- 1/2 pound Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and shredded
- 1/8 cup organic all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 Wild Oats large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 teaspoons sea salt, divided
- 1 cup Wild Oats Canola Oil
- For the Caramelized Three-Onion Relish:
- 4 tablespoons Wild Oats Extra Virgin Organic Olive Oil
- 2 tablespoons pareve margarine
- 4 cups thinly sliced organic onions (1 yellow, 1 red and 1 white)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Wild Oats Balsamic Vinegar
FOR THE POTATO LATKES:
Preheat oven to 250 degrees F.
Line baking sheet with paper towels. Place onions and shredded potatoes in a clean cotton dish towel. Ring towel over a sink to remove excess water. Place potatoes and onions in a mixing bowl. Add flour, baking powder, egg, pepper and 1 teaspoon of the salt. Toss gently to coat evenly. Heat a large nonstick pan over medium heat. Pour in enough oil to fill the pan to about 1/4 inch high. Heat until a small drop of the potato mixture dropped into the oil sizzles quickly. Drop batter, by heaping tablespoonfuls into oil. Flatten with a spatula. Fry about 4 minutes per side. Repeat until the potato batter is gone. Sprinkle cooked latkes with salt and transfer to baking sheet to keep warm in the oven. Serve with warm Caramelized Three-Onion Relish.
FOR THE CARAMELIZED THREE-ONION RELISH:
Heat oil and margarine in large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onions, garlic, salt and pepper; cook 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in thyme, sugar and vinegar. Cook and stir until liquid thickens. Remove from heat and store in a covered container for up to a week. Warm before serving with latkes.
Recipe reprinted by permission of Wild Oats Natural Marketplace. All rights reserved.
Don't Miss Out
Get an instant coupon for 10% off your next order*
plus the latest recipes, exclusive offers, and more straight to your inbox.
*Some restrictions apply.
Sorry, it appears that you already have subscribed to Cooking.com e-mails.
Click here to modify your email preferences.Close
Sign-up in progress...
Thanks for subscribing and please enjoy the coupons, recipes and special offers coming your way!Close
Your instant coupon code is:
Enter code during checkout to receive 10% off your purchase.* This code will also be emailed to you.Close and Continue
*Some restrictions apply. To see restrictions, click here .