I don't know why in this land of pumpkin pie we do not eat more of these great little seeds. Your local health food stores and Mexican markets will have the bright green hulled seeds for sale. Buy a lot and keep them in the freezer until you want to make this salsa, or toast them together with chilies pequins (tiny, round dried red chilies) and whole garlic cloves as a snack. Try this delicate salsa over broiled goat cheese or stirred into white rice just before serving. Then again, you might want to ladle it on some simple grilled chicken. Just try it.
- 4 teaspoons olive oil or corn oil
- 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1 Roma (plum) tomato, pan-roasted until blistered, deeply browned, and soft
- 1 thick slice medium-sized white onion, pan-roasted until brown and soft
- 1 tomatillo, pan-roasted until blistered, browned, and soft
- 2 jalapeno chilies, pan-roasted until dark brown, then seed cores removed
- 1 large clove garlic, pan-roasted until brown and soft, then peeled
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/8 teaspoon toasted and ground dried Mexican oregano
Heat the oil in a small skillet over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Add the pumpkin seeds and cook, swirling the pan and stirring often, until evenly toasted, about 2 minutes. They will puff and pop. Scrape the seeds and their oil into a food processor and add the tomato, onion, and tomatillo. Process until smooth. Add the jalapenos and garlic, and continue to process. With the motor running, add the water. Stop to scrape down the sides. Add the salt, cilantro, and oregano, and pulse to blend. Keeps, tightly covered, up to 3 days in the refrigerator.
Recipe reprinted by permission of Publisher. All rights reserved.
Don't Miss Out
Get an instant coupon for 10% off your next order*
plus the latest recipes, exclusive offers, and more straight to your inbox.
*Some restrictions apply.
Sorry, it appears that you already have subscribed to Cooking.com e-mails.
Click here to modify your email preferences.Close
Sign-up in progress...
Thanks for subscribing and please enjoy the coupons, recipes and special offers coming your way!Close
Your instant coupon code is:
Enter code during checkout to receive 10% off your purchase.* This code will also be emailed to you.Close and Continue
*Some restrictions apply. To see restrictions, click here .