Chef John Currence coats shrimp with a potent mix of fennel seeds, dried oregano and garlic and onion powders. He flavors the quinoa with a vibrant, pesto-like pistou, made with a judicious amount of oil.
- 1/2 pound medium shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, crumbled
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup packed basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary leaves
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
- 1 clove garlic, smashed
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 1 1/2 cups quinoa, rinsed
- 2 1/4 cups water
In a resealable plastic bag, toss the shrimp with the garlic and onion powders, paprika, oregano, fennel seeds, dried thyme, 1 tablespoon of the oil and 1/2 teaspoon each of salt and pepper until coated. Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. In a food processor, pulse the basil, parsley, rosemary, thyme leaves, garlic and cheese. Add 2 tablespoons of the oil; puree until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
In a saucepan, combine the quinoa, water and the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil. Season lightly with salt and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer over low heat until the quinoa is tender, about 15 minutes. Let stand for 5 minutes. Transfer to a bowl; keep warm.
On a baking sheet, roast the shrimp for about 8 minutes, until curled and pink. Cut the shrimp into thirds and add to the quinoa with the pistou. Toss well, season with salt and pepper and serve.
Recipe reprinted by permission of Publisher. All rights reserved.
Need Something for Your Kitchen?
Get 10% off your first order at our store, CHEFS Catalog!*
plus the latest recipes, exclusive offers, and more straight to your inbox.
*New customers only, some restrictions apply.
Sorry, it appears that you already have subscribed to Cooking.com e-mails.
Click here to modify your email preferences.Close
Sign-up in progress...
Thanks for subscribing and please enjoy the coupons, recipes and special offers coming your way!Close