Having the holiday celebration at your house this year? Here's the perfect recipe to share with your friends and family. Serve with an abundance of wine (or non-alcoholic sparkling apple cider), good cheer and great conversation.
- 1 pound organic yellow or red onions, unpeeled
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- Wild Oats Extra Virgin Organic Olive Oil for sautéing (optional)
- 4 cups dry breadcrumbs
- 3/4 cup Wild Oats Organic Milk, heated to lukewarm
- 4 cups mixed dried fruits such as apples, pears, figs, apricots or cherries
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh sage, or 1 tablespoon dried sage
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 3/4 cup chopped Wild Oats Organic Walnuts or Hazelnuts (optional)
- 1/2 cup diced celery (optional)
- 1 pound sweet Italian sausage, diced, sautéed and drained (optional)
- Salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
- Freshly grated nutmeg, to taste
- 1 whole goose (8 to 10 pounds)
- 1/4 cup Calvados dry apple brandy (optional)
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
Place unpeeled onions in a shallow pan and roast until tender, about 30 minutes. Cool, peel, and chop, then set aside. Lower oven temperature to 350 degrees F.
In a small skillet, sauté garlic in a small amount of the olive oil until soft but not browned and set aside. Soak breadcrumbs in milk until soft, and then squeeze dry and set aside.
In a large mixing bowl, combine bread, onions, reserved garlic, dried fruits, sage and parsley. If desired, add nuts, celery, and/or sausage. Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg. Stuff the goose with the mixture, and tie the cavity closed with butcher’s twine. Place on a rack in a roasting pan.
Roast goose in preheated oven until juices run clear when thigh is pricked with a fork, about 3 hours or until a thermometer reaches 165 degrees F to 175 degrees F. Remove goose from the pan and skim off fat from pan juices. Deglaze pan with a little Calvados, if desired, and pour over the goose.
Recipe reprinted by permission of Wild Oats Natural Marketplace. All rights reserved.
Don't Miss Out
Get an instant coupon for 10% off your next order*
plus the latest recipes, exclusive offers, and more straight to your inbox.
*Some restrictions apply.
Sorry, it appears that you already have subscribed to Cooking.com e-mails.
Click here to modify your email preferences.Close
Sign-up in progress...
Thanks for subscribing and please enjoy the coupons, recipes and special offers coming your way!Close
Your instant coupon code is*
Enter code during checkout to receive 10% off your purchase.* This code will also be emailed to you.Close and Continue
*Some restrictions apply. To see restrictions, click here .