Roast Christmas Goose
Having the holiday celebration at your house this year? Here's the perfect recipe to share with your friends and family. Serve with an abundance of wine (or non-alcoholic sparkling apple cider), good cheer and great conversation.
- 1 pound organic yellow or red onions, unpeeled
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- Wild Oats Extra Virgin Organic Olive Oil for sautéing (optional)
- 4 cups dry breadcrumbs
- 3/4 cup Wild Oats Organic Milk, heated to lukewarm
- 4 cups mixed dried fruits such as apples, pears, figs, apricots or cherries
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh sage, or 1 tablespoon dried sage
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 3/4 cup chopped Wild Oats Organic Walnuts or Hazelnuts (optional)
- 1/2 cup diced celery (optional)
- 1 pound sweet Italian sausage, diced, sautéed and drained (optional)
- Salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
- Freshly grated nutmeg, to taste
- 1 whole goose (8 to 10 pounds)
- 1/4 cup Calvados dry apple brandy (optional)
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
Place unpeeled onions in a shallow pan and roast until tender, about 30 minutes. Cool, peel, and chop, then set aside. Lower oven temperature to 350 degrees F.
In a small skillet, sauté garlic in a small amount of the olive oil until soft but not browned and set aside. Soak breadcrumbs in milk until soft, and then squeeze dry and set aside.
In a large mixing bowl, combine bread, onions, reserved garlic, dried fruits, sage and parsley. If desired, add nuts, celery, and/or sausage. Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg. Stuff the goose with the mixture, and tie the cavity closed with butcher’s twine. Place on a rack in a roasting pan.
Roast goose in preheated oven until juices run clear when thigh is pricked with a fork, about 3 hours or until a thermometer reaches 165 degrees F to 175 degrees F. Remove goose from the pan and skim off fat from pan juices. Deglaze pan with a little Calvados, if desired, and pour over the goose.
Recipe reprinted by permission of Wild Oats Natural Marketplace. All rights reserved.
Don't Miss Out
Get an instant coupon for 10% off your next order*
plus the latest recipes, exclusive offers, and more straight to your inbox.
*Some restrictions apply.
Sorry, it appears that you already have subscribed to Cooking.com e-mails.
Click here to modify your email preferences.Close
Sign-up in progress...
Thanks for subscribing and please enjoy the coupons, recipes and special offers coming your way!Close
Your instant coupon code is:
Enter code during checkout to receive 10% off your purchase.* This code will also be emailed to you.Close and Continue
*Some restrictions apply. To see restrictions, click here .