- One 3 1/2 pound broiler-fryer
- 1 lemon, sliced
- 1 medium onion, peeled and quartered
- 3 thyme sprigs
- Kosher or coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 3 medium leeks, white part only, washed carefully and thinly sliced
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut into thin sticks or rounds
- 6 red potatoes, quartered
- 6 medium turnips, 2 medium rutabaga or 4 medium parsnips, peeled and cut into thin sticks (or any combination of these vegetables, enough to yield 6 cups)
- 12 ounces (1 1/2 cups) dry white wine
- One 14-ounce can chicken broth
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
Rinse chicken thoroughly. Put lemon, onion and thyme into the cavity of the chicken. Sprinkle the skin of the chicken liberally with salt and pepper. Scatter the leeks, carrots, potatoes, turnips and/or rutabaga over the bottom of a roasting pan. Sprinkle the vegetables with salt and pepper. Set the chicken on top of the vegetables. Pour white wine and chicken broth over chicken and vegetables.
Roast the chicken for 1 hour until the skin is browned, the juices at the joint of the thigh run clear when pierced with a knife and a thermometer inserted into the flesh of the thigh registers 180 degrees F. Stir vegetables and baste chicken with juices occasionally during cooking.
Transfer the chicken to a cutting board. Lift the vegetables into a serving bowl and pour or ladle the juices into a pitcher or gravy boat. Carve the chicken and serve with vegetable juices.
Recipe reprinted by permission of www.eatchicken.com. All rights reserved.
Need Something for Your Kitchen?
Get 10% off your first order at our store, CHEFS Catalog!*
plus the latest recipes, exclusive offers, and more straight to your inbox.
*New customers only, some restrictions apply.
Sorry, it appears that you already have subscribed to Cooking.com e-mails.
Click here to modify your email preferences.Close
Sign-up in progress...
Thanks for subscribing and please enjoy the coupons, recipes and special offers coming your way!Close