- Special Pricing
This tart starts with a cheddar cheese crust that’s filled with roasted leeks, fennel and broccoli or Brussels sprouts. Beets or cauliflower would stand in beautifully too.
Make Ahead Tip: Prepare the crust (Step 4), wrap tightly and refrigerate for up to 3 days. | Equipment: 8 x 12-inch rectangular or 11-inch round removable-bottom tart pan
- For Filling:
- 2 leeks, white and light green parts only, coarsely chopped and rinsed
- 1 pound small broccoli florets or Brussels sprouts, trimmed and cut in half
- 2 small or 1 large fennel bupound, cored and thinly sliced lengthwise
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1 head garlic
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 1/3 cup black olive tapenade (see Ingredient Note)
- 1/2 cup crumbled goat cheese
- For Crust:
- 1 1/4 cups white whole-wheat flour (see Ingredient Note)
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 4 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 3 tablespoons canola or extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons ice water
- Ingredient Note: Black olive tapenade is a thick paste made from olives, garlic and other flavorful ingredients. Look for it near jarred olives at the store. Or to make your own for this recipe, puree 1/2 cup pitted Kalamata olives, 1 clove peeled garlic and 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar in a food processor until it forms a thick paste.
- White whole-wheat flour, made from a special variety of white wheat, is light in color and flavor but has the same nutritional properties as regular whole-wheat flour. Available in large supermarkets and in natural-foods stores. Store in the freezer.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
To prepare filling: Spread the leeks, broccoli (or Brussels sprouts), fennel and onion in a single layer on a large rimmed baking sheet along with the unpeeled head of garlic. Season the vegetables with rosemary, salt and pepper. Drizzle oil over the vegetables and garlic and toss to coat.
Bake, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are tender when pierced with a knife and the garlic is soft, 35-45 minutes. Remove from the oven, set aside the garlic, and toss the vegetables with vinegar. Let cool.
To prepare crust: Coat an 8 x 12-inch rectangular or 11-inch round removable-bottom tart pan with cooking spray.
Place the flour, cheddar and cornmeal in a food processor; pulse to combine. Add the butter one piece at a time, pulsing once or twice after each addition, until incorporated. Add the oil and water and pulse just until the dough starts to come together. Turn the dough out into the prepared pan (it will be crumbly), spread evenly and press firmly into the bottom and all the way up the sides to form a crust. Refrigerate until ready to bake.
When the vegetables are done, reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees F. Bake the crust until set but not browned, about 15 minutes.
Place the tart pan on a baking sheet. Spread the tapenade over the bottom of the crust. Top with the roasted vegetables. Cut off the top of the garlic and squeeze out the cloves onto the vegetables. Sprinkle with goat cheese.
Bake the tart until the edges of the crust are golden brown, about 25 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes before removing the pan sides and cutting into squares.
Recipe reprinted by permission of Publisher. All rights reserved.
nutrition information per serving
378 calories; 25g total fat; 8g total saturated fat; 28mg cholesterol; 370mg sodium; 30g carbohydrates; 5g fiber; 10g protein
These nutrition facts are calculated according to the ingredients listed in this recipe. Any substitutions will change these facts. Although we strive for accuracy, please note that food manufacturers occasionally change their food formulas, which could affect the calculations as shown.
Don't Miss Out
Get an instant coupon for 10% off your next order*
plus the latest recipes, exclusive offers, and more straight to your inbox.
*Some restrictions apply.
Sorry, it appears that you already have subscribed to Cooking.com e-mails.
Click here to modify your email preferences.Close
Sign-up in progress...
Thanks for subscribing and please enjoy the coupons, recipes and special offers coming your way!Close
Your instant coupon code is:
Enter code during checkout to receive 10% off your purchase.* This code will also be emailed to you.Close and Continue
*Some restrictions apply. To see restrictions, click here .