- Special Pricing
This whole-grain salad stars farro, an ancient form of wheat common in Italy, along with roasted fennel and bell peppers. Enjoy leftovers for lunch the next day.
Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
- 1 cup farro or wheat berries (see Shopping Tip)
- 2 bupounds fennel, trimmed, cored and coarsely chopped
- 2 medium yellow and/or orange bell peppers, chopped
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup oil-cured olives or Kalamata olives, chopped
- 2 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar or white-wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- Tip: : Look for farro (and/or wheat berries—whole, unprocessed grains of wheat that can be used in place of farro in this salad) in the bulk section or near other grains in natural-foods stores.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
Place the farro (or wheat berries) in a large saucepan; add enough water to cover by 2 inches. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce the heat to a simmer and cook until tender, 15 to 20 minutes for farro, about 1 hour for wheat berries.
Meanwhile, toss the fennel and bell peppers with the oil, salt and pepper in a large roasting pan. Roast, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned and tender, 35 to 40 minutes.
Drain the farro (or wheat berries); transfer to a large bowl. Add the roasted vegetables, olives, vinegar and thyme; stir to combine. Serve warm, room temperature or cold.
Recipe reprinted by permission of Publisher. All rights reserved.
nutrition information per serving
213 calories; 8g total fat; 1g total saturated fat; 0mg cholesterol; 352mg sodium; 33g carbohydrates; 6g fiber; 5g protein
These nutrition facts are calculated according to the ingredients listed in this recipe. Any substitutions will change these facts. Although we strive for accuracy, please note that food manufacturers occasionally change their food formulas, which could affect the calculations as shown.
Don't Miss Out
Get an instant coupon for 10% off your next order*
plus the latest recipes, exclusive offers, and more straight to your inbox.
*Some restrictions apply.
Sorry, it appears that you already have subscribed to Cooking.com e-mails.
Click here to modify your email preferences.Close
Sign-up in progress...
Thanks for subscribing and please enjoy the coupons, recipes and special offers coming your way!Close
Your instant coupon code is:
Enter code during checkout to receive 10% off your purchase.* This code will also be emailed to you.Close and Continue
*Some restrictions apply. To see restrictions, click here .