Roasted Pumpkin Seeds
- Active Time 5m
- Total Time 20m
Makes 2 cups (Serves 6)
I don't know which is more fun, carving Jack or roasting the seeds. One 4-pound pumpkin will yield about 2 cups seeds. Save the seeds whenever you carve a pumpkin, then roast some of them and plant some of them. Next year, you'll have your own pumpkin patch--and lots of roasted pumpkin seeds! Kids and pixies can stir and toss the seeds with salt or spices and help spread them on the baking sheet.
- 2 cups pumpkin seeds
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon salt, or more to taste
Preheat an oven to 350 degrees F.
Rinse the seeds well in cold water, being sure you have rinsed away any fibrous strings, and pat thoroughly dry. Transfer to a large bowl and add the vegetable oil and salt, stirring well to coat the seeds with the oil. Spread the seeds on a baking sheet in a single layer. Bake until crisp and golden, 12 to 15 minutes. Taste for seasoning and add more salt if desired.
- Herbed Seeds: Use olive oil in place of the vegetable oil and add 1 tablespoon each dried rosemary and dried basil along with the salt.
- Spicy Seeds: Add 2 teaspoons chili powder along with the salt.
- Indian Seeds: Add 1 1/2 tablespoons curry powder and a pinch of cayenne pepper along with the salt.
- Pumpkin Pie Seeds: Substitute 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) melted butter for the vegetable oil and add 3 tablespoons light brown sugar, 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice, and a pinch each of ground nutmeg, ground cloves, and salt.
Serving size = 1/3 cup
Recipe reprinted by permission of Chronicle. All rights reserved.
nutrition information per serving
289 calories; 26g total fat; 0mg cholesterol; 396mg sodium; 8g carbohydrates; 2g fiber; 11g protein
These nutrition facts are calculated according to the ingredients listed in this recipe. Any substitutions will change these facts. Although we strive for accuracy, please note that food manufacturers occasionally change their food formulas, which could affect the calculations as shown.
Don't Miss Out
Get an instant coupon for 10% off your next order*
plus the latest recipes, exclusive offers, and more straight to your inbox.
*Some restrictions apply.
Sorry, it appears that you already have subscribed to Cooking.com e-mails.
Click here to modify your email preferences.Close
Sign-up in progress...
Thanks for subscribing and please enjoy the coupons, recipes and special offers coming your way!Close
Your instant coupon code is:
Enter code during checkout to receive 10% off your purchase.* This code will also be emailed to you.Close and Continue
*Some restrictions apply. To see restrictions, click here .