Traditional Italian bread salad gets a flavor and protein boost with the addition of grilled salmon. Make it a Meal: To round out this complete meal, serve with a glass of American wheat ale, such as New Belgium Sunshine Wheat Ale.
- 8 Kalamata olives, pitted and chopped
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon capers, rinsed and chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, divided
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 thick slices day-old whole-grain bread, cut into 1-inch cubes (see tip)
- 2 large tomatoes, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled (if desired), seeded and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced fresh basil
- 1 pound center-cut salmon, skinned (see tip) and cut into 4 portions
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- TIP: Tips: If using fresh bread, you can grill the bread slices along with the salmon and then cut them into cubes. Alternatively, cut the bread into cubes, place on a baking sheet and bake at 300 degrees F until dry.
- How to skin a salmon fillet: Place the salmon fillet on a clean cutting board, skin-side down. Starting at the tail end, slip the blade of a long knife between the fish flesh and the skin, holding down firmly with your other hand. Gently push the blade along at a 30 degree angle, separating the fillet from the skin without cutting through either.
- To oil the grill rack, oil a folded paper towel, hold it with tongs and rub it over the rack. (Do not use cooking spray on a hot grill.) When grilling delicate foods like tofu and fish, it is helpful to spray the food with cooking spray before placing it on the grill.
Preheat the grill to high.
Whisk the olives, vinegar, capers and 1/8 teaspoon pepper in a large bowl. Slowly whisk in the oil until combined. Add the bread, tomatoes, cucumber, onion and basil.
Oil the grill rack. Season both sides of the salmon with salt and the remaining 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Grill the salmon until cooked through, 4-5 minutes per side.
Divide the salad among 4 plates and top each with a piece of salmon.
Recipe reprinted by permission of Publisher. All rights reserved.
nutrition information per serving
362 calories; 21g total fat; 3g total saturated fat; 72mg cholesterol; 386mg sodium; 15g carbohydrates; 5g fiber; 29g protein
These nutrition facts are calculated according to the ingredients listed in this recipe. Any substitutions will change these facts. Although we strive for accuracy, please note that food manufacturers occasionally change their food formulas, which could affect the calculations as shown.
Don't Miss Out
Get an instant coupon for 10% off your next order*
plus the latest recipes, exclusive offers, and more straight to your inbox.
*Some restrictions apply.
Sorry, it appears that you already have subscribed to Cooking.com e-mails.
Click here to modify your email preferences.Close
Sign-up in progress...
Thanks for subscribing and please enjoy the coupons, recipes and special offers coming your way!Close
Your instant coupon code is:
Enter code during checkout to receive 10% off your purchase.* This code will also be emailed to you.Close and Continue
*Some restrictions apply. To see restrictions, click here .